Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi app strategy

tag
Longroad
Established Contributor

Citi app strategy

Not planning on doing any apps for a while, but it's never too early to get all the info together to be ready. I have a couple of Citi cards on my radar and had a couple of questions about how Citi operates. 

• Is the underwriting the same for all cards or would the AA or Hilton cards be easier to get than TY or DC?
  • If you were going for 2 cards at once could that be accomplished with a single pull or would it be a pull for each app?
  • any quirks or other things to be aware of with Citi? i.e. No apps last 6 mos, sensitive to old baddies, etc?

This forum is a wealth of information. Can't wait for the feedback. Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi app strategy

I'm not familiar with their underwritting requirements. 

I've read that you must wait 8 days in between applications, combining HPs doesn't seem to be possible.  

I have seen people mention that they are sensitive to inquiries and new accounts. I have a had success obtaning new accounts with both. 

Message 2 of 8
boober
Frequent Contributor

What might be considered a new account to Citi?

I'm thinking of applying for a citi card in about 3 weeks. My most recent card opened was from about 7 weeks ago. Before that would be about 8 months ago for 5 new cards. Before that would be well over a year before.

And how about for Inq's? Is it within the last 6 months? Or in the last year?

Thanks and thanks to you cal. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

I don't remember specifically for Citi. Given that other factors are in place (report, scores, income, etc), I think in most cases 6 months for both new accounts and inquiries is a good rule of thumb. My Double Cash approval occurred after 4 new accounts in the 2 prior months.I did have to recon and they asked about the inquiries not the accounts. 

Message 4 of 8
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I can speak from experience as I have the DC and ThankYou Premier. When I applied for my DC in September I had 4 inquiries in the last 6 months, 2 of them in the week before I applied. When I applied for my Premier I had 8 inquiries in the last 6 months and 4 of them were within the last month. Util when I applied for both was 1%.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 5 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Longroad wrote:

Not planning on doing any apps for a while, but it's never too early to get all the info together to be ready. I have a couple of Citi cards on my radar and had a couple of questions about how Citi operates. 

• Is the underwriting the same for all cards or would the AA or Hilton cards be easier to get than TY or DC?
  • If you were going for 2 cards at once could that be accomplished with a single pull or would it be a pull for each app?
  • any quirks or other things to be aware of with Citi? i.e. No apps last 6 mos, sensitive to old baddies, etc?

This forum is a wealth of information. Can't wait for the feedback. Thanks

As noted, you are not likely to get 2 cards the same day from Citi.

My experience has been to rely on the Citi CC Prequalification tool at the Citi site. When that gets me the lowest APR consistently, I've had two approvals recently.

AAdvantage in July with a EQ/EX pull, two weeks after the triple pull for Venture, 4 other new cards in 2015. Instapproval.

AAdvantage earlier this week, EQ/EX after the PenFed EQ HP two weeks earlier, 4 other INQ on EX after the July Citi pull. The approval was not instant, said "we can't approve you at this time wait for the letter" but then within hours I got an email of the approval.

So I continue to tell folks who are interested in a Citi credit card; monitor that Citi prequal result for best apping joy. The rest of the discussions here are informative, and could be helpful, but it's what Citi thinks of your specific file that really matters.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 8
Longroad
Established Contributor

Thanks for all the input. I didn't know Citi double pulled. I apped about 18 mos ago and only recevied a EX pull. Is that new? EQ is my worst report, but should be better by the time I expect to ap for the AA card. 

Thanks again everyone.

Message 7 of 8
satasat360
Regular Contributor

I think EQ is Citi's main bureau and i see SP's from citi on EQ after getting the TYP card and they pulled EQ and EX during my app

Starting Score: 669
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.