Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi bank esclations!

tag
swpopham
Established Contributor

Citi bank esclations!

Called to close my account, told the lady that the limit was too low to be usable. Shed said you need to call this number before we close it. 800-444-2568. So last night I called and it is the retention department. Spoke to a nice lady who asked what limit I was looking for and I said 20k match my nfcu or csp limit. She said okay Ill call you back in 30 min or less. Well today at noon I still havent heard from her so I called back. I was told it was declined. The lady was rude. I went to her supervisor and he transfered me over to the presidental office. I told the lady from the presidental office that it was sad that even the reps wouldnt tell you why you were declined. she said Mr. Popham your CRA-equifax is frozen and I cant soft or hard pull you. I said why did i have to sit on hold for 40 min to get tihs simple explaination? she assured me it would be addressed and waited for me to unfreeze equifax and said she would call me personally in 24-72 hours also.

I figured what the heck its been 6 statements since the card was open and I have given them about 12k in business

edit by webhopper

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Citi bank esclations!

@swpopham wrote:

Called to close my account, told the indian lady that the limit was too low to be usable. Shed said you need to call this number before we close it. 800-444-2568. So last night I called and it is the retention department. Spoke to a nice lady who asked what limit I was looking for and I said 20k match my nfcu or csp limit. She said okay Ill call you back in 30 min or less. Well today at noon I still havent heard from her so I called back. I was told it was declined. The lady was rude. I went to her supervisor and he transfered me over to the presidental office. I told the lady from the presidental office that it was sad that even their american reps wouldnt tell you why you were declined. she said Mr. Popham your CRA-equifax is frozen and I cant soft or hard pull you. I said why did i have to sit on hold for 40 min to get tihs simple explaination? she assured me it would be addressed and waited for me to unfreeze equifax and said she would call me personally in 24-72 hours also.

I figured what the heck its been 6 statements since the card was open and I have given them about 12k in business

Sorry for the bad experience but hopefully they will make it right. Good luck

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@swpopham wrote:

Called to close my account, told the lady that the limit was too low to be usable. Shed said you need to call this number before we close it. 800-444-2568. So last night I called and it is the retention department. Spoke to a nice lady who asked what limit I was looking for and I said 20k match my nfcu or csp limit. She said okay Ill call you back in 30 min or less. Well today at noon I still havent heard from her so I called back. I was told it was declined. The lady was rude. I went to her supervisor and he transfered me over to the presidental office. I told the lady from the presidental office that it was sad that even the reps wouldnt tell you why you were declined. she said Mr. Popham your CRA-equifax is frozen and I cant soft or hard pull you. I said why did i have to sit on hold for 40 min to get tihs simple explaination? she assured me it would be addressed and waited for me to unfreeze equifax and said she would call me personally in 24-72 hours also.

edit by webhopper

If your asking for a CLI why would you leave your files frozen?? Smiley Indifferent

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 8
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi bank escalations!

In all fairness, I keep all 3 reports frozen too for that very reason . . . let me explain.

You can have a frozen file and they can still see the data and grant a CLI if their policy allows it.  I know this because I ask for a CLI from BOA every quarter and when they turn me down (due to past tardiness not frozen file) they send me my EX FICO and my report is frozen.  BOA is my PSECU for EX! 

The wise part about keeping the report frozen when you talk to a Citi rep is they will say they will not pull a hard and then fib to you and try to pull a hard inquiry but a locked file stops them.

Wise swpopham, very wise.....

Message 4 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Scuba wrote:

In all fairness, I keep all 3 reports frozen too for that very reason . . . let me explain.

You can have a frozen file and they can still see the data and grant a CLI if their policy allows it.  I know this because I ask for a CLI from BOA every quarter and when they turn me down (due to past tardiness not frozen file) they send me my EX FICO and my report is frozen.  BOA is my PSECU for EX! 

The wise part about keeping the report frozen when you talk to a Citi rep is they will say they will not pull a hard and then fib to you and try to pull a hard inquiry but a locked file stops them.

I understand the reasoning but you cant be pissed when they cant pull your file because of it. Not gonna get into the freeze debate again but IMO it just doesn't make much sense to get all riled up about something if you know your files are frozen and are asking for new credit.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 8
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

CIti is somewhat notorious for bad customer service. I tend to agree with LS. If you want your account closed  then close it. If you want a CLI unfreeze your reports before requestiing for your best chance at being approved.. I don't find anything wrong with you escalating the situation when they were rude to you however.

Message 6 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@swpopham wrote:

Called to close my account, told the lady that the limit was too low to be usable. Shed said you need to call this number before we close it. 800-444-2568. So last night I called and it is the retention department. Spoke to a nice lady who asked what limit I was looking for and I said 20k match my nfcu or csp limit. She said okay Ill call you back in 30 min or less. Well today at noon I still havent heard from her so I called back. I was told it was declined. The lady was rude. I went to her supervisor and he transfered me over to the presidental office. I told the lady from the presidental office that it was sad that even the reps wouldnt tell you why you were declined. she said Mr. Popham your CRA-equifax is frozen and I cant soft or hard pull you. I said why did i have to sit on hold for 40 min to get tihs simple explaination? she assured me it would be addressed and waited for me to unfreeze equifax and said she would call me personally in 24-72 hours also.

edit by webhopper

Well, I hope everything comes out right for you. Good luck!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 7 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Scuba wrote:

I understand the reasoning but you cant be pissed when they cant pull your file because of it. Not gonna get into the freeze debate again but IMO it just doesn't make much sense to get all riled up about something if you know your files are frozen and are asking for new credit.

+1 to what LS said.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.