cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi card good offer but should I apply.

tag
voidman
Established Contributor

Citi card good offer but should I apply.

Just a hypothetical question.

I have a citi card Citi Divident that I got last year has a CL of 12k. My charge every month on it is around $1200 and I pay in full.

Today I received a card offer from CITI for Diamond Preferred with 0%APR for 21 months. Just wondered CITI will give me another card for atleast 5k?

thanks.

-void
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi card good offer but should I apply.

That Citi card is a great deal with 0% interest for 21 months on purchases and balance transfers.

I keep getting the offer in the mail too, but I have not pulled the trigger. I may need minor surgery next year (about 4K), so I would apply when I need it.

Citi will hand out more than one card. They give good CL's, and you got 12K from them. So long as your CR looks good overall (not just with CIti, but low UTIL overall, good scores and no excessive apps), I think 5K is doable.

Message 2 of 13
voidman
Established Contributor

Thanks Raenys,

I am getting ready for the shopping season plus a speeding ticket. Just want to spread the spending over 20 months. 

Hope our surgery goes well.

-void
Message 3 of 13
Strepthroat
Frequent Contributor

That's a very good offer voidman, however, I don't think the Diamond card offer any rewards but if that doesn't matter, definitely apply if you think you will get use out of the card.  They're generous with their credit limits on multiple cards.  I have 3, and the credit limits range from $10,500 to $25,000.  But check their site for current promotions/rewards cards.

Chase Marriott Visa $25,000 | Chase Southwest Visa $25,000 | PFCU Visa $20,000 | Capital One Savor $20,000 | Nordstrom Visa $20,000 | GUCU Visa $10,500 | CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa $10,000 | US Bank Perks Visa $9,000 | Barclays Cash Forward Visa $6,000 | BB&T Spectrum Cash Visa $3,500
Message 4 of 13
voidman
Established Contributor

Strepthroat,

yeah it is a good offer and I know this one does not have any rewards but it offers a $100 statement credit if I spend $500 in 60 days or something. I don't mind with the lack of rewards because I am having tough time keeping track of rorating rewards that I have already.

2 months back I had received better offer from Discover. 21(or 18 months not sure)  months of 0% APR for purchase and BT ANDT 0% transfer fees and rotating rewards. I didn't need any credit back then so I shreaded it. Arrrgg!!

-void
Message 5 of 13
Strepthroat
Frequent Contributor

Cool beans, definitely apply.

Chase Marriott Visa $25,000 | Chase Southwest Visa $25,000 | PFCU Visa $20,000 | Capital One Savor $20,000 | Nordstrom Visa $20,000 | GUCU Visa $10,500 | CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa $10,000 | US Bank Perks Visa $9,000 | Barclays Cash Forward Visa $6,000 | BB&T Spectrum Cash Visa $3,500
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you did the right think shredding the Discover  app.  You didn't need the credit then, so why take it. Exactly the reason I am holding off my diamond app.

Diamond is not a rewards card, but it clearly has a great purpose. For those that need to carry a balance, the 21 "free months" of no interest is perhaps the best reward you can get in this scenario. Carrying a balance on a reward card that generally has higher interest rates cancels out the benefit of the rewards. The interest rates  on non-reward cards also tend to be lower when they do kick in, and a non-reward card is generally easier to obtain. Thus if you must carry a balance, better to carry it interest free on the diamond preferred card, and pay all of your other reward cards in full every month.

Out of respect to the OP please don't change the title of the thread. Leave that up to the OP.

MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator

Message 7 of 13
voidman
Established Contributor

Yes, I did the right thing at that time. Anyway, no point in thinking about it. I will apply for this card latter this evening.

-void
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck!!!!!

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you did the right think shredding the Discover  app.  You didn't need the credit then, so why take it. Exactly the reason I am holding off my diamond app.

Diamond is not a rewards card, but it clearly has a great purpose. For those that need to carry a balance, the 21 "free months" of no interest is perhaps the best reward you can get in this scenario. Carrying a balance on a reward card that generally has higher interest rates cancels out the benefit of the rewards. The interest rates  on non-reward cards also tend to be lower when they do kick in, and a non-reward card is generally easier to obtain. Thus if you must carry a balance, better to carry it interest free on the diamond preferred card, and pay all of your other reward cards in full every month.

Out of respect to the OP please don't change the title of the thread. Leave that up to the OP.

MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator

That must have been an error on my part. I didn't even know it happened. I must have hit something on my laptop. Apologies moderator. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.