Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi card initial credit line

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Citi card initial credit line

When I applied for the Citi american executive card today I got a message to call the number. I called in and they didn't ask me anything other than my name and approved me for 11k. The CSR said she can approve me for 11k and was that alright? What would happen if I said no that I wanted to be considered for a  higher credit line? Would they have given it additional consideration? Extra HPs? I just took it and did not press the issue as its my first card with citi and I had determined that as long as I got 10k it would meet my needs. Has anyone else been asked this by a CSR?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Citi card initial credit line

@red259 wrote:

When I applied for the Citi american executive card today I got a message to call the number. I called in and they didn't ask me anything other than my name and approved me for 11k. The CSR said she can approve me for 11k and was that alright? What would happen if I said no that I wanted to be considered for a  higher credit line? Would they have given it additional consideration? Extra HPs? I just took it and did not press the issue as its my first card with citi and I had determined that as long as I got 10k it would meet my needs. Has anyone else been asked this by a CSR?

if you wanted a higher CL, they would have pulled additional inquiries.

this has been the case with citi 99% of the time, even if you go through their EO to ask for a higher CL. 

In very rare circumstances they'll able to increase the CL with no additional HP. 

I tried it once and all i got was a few mins speech on how the Prestige has a NPSL feature.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@red259 wrote:

if you wanted a higher CL, they would have pulled additional inquiries.

this has been the case with citi 99% of the time, even if you go through their EO to ask for a higher CL. 

In very rare circumstances they'll able to increase the CL with no additional HP. 

I tried it once and all i got was a few mins speech on how the Prestige has a NPSL feature.

Yea, this is what I figured would happen and I certainly wasn't interested in more inqs. I'm fairly comfortable with my overall credit right now, which I use mostly for util purposes and don't see the need for more at this point. 

;
Message 3 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

you can try giving EO a call as well just to try your luck.

Generally people in that office are a lot more knowledgeable compared to regular CSRs. 

Is this your 1st card with Citi?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Generally people in that office are a lot more knowledgeable compared to regular CSRs. 

Yea first one. Will likely want to pick up the hilton card and maybe other american cards down the line.

;
Message 5 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

Yea first one. Will likely want to pick up the hilton card and maybe other american cards down the line.

Citi can be very generous with CLs once you establish an internal score. As long as your profile stays around the same you are pretty much guaranteed to be approved for other cards with higher, or at least similar, CLs as long as income doesn't become a limiting factor.

Message 6 of 7
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

I would love to learn how to build up my internal score at Citi. I've had an account for like 12 years there, it had a decent limit and then they whacked it during the financial meltdown. It sat at $500 for several years, got one increase about six months ago, and turned down via SP for any further increase for having too many recently-opened accounts.

I wonder if Citi works like AmEx and Chase....  had dismal limits that I couldn't get much love on, but when I went through new account processing, I got cards with $15k and $24k limits.?  I'm considering adding a second Citi card, which as a new card would likely get a higher CL that I could then share over to the old Dividend MC.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.