Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi cards CLI screen question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi cards CLI screen question?

I got a sp cli at 6 months. I tied to sneak another in 3 months later but they said to soon. 

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have an opinion of a HP CLI request is a bad idea if a SP isn't even available? 

My plan was to SP CLI first, then take the HP for the remainder of what I want.  Since the SP CLI isn't even available to me, it makes me think that asking for a HP CLI isn't exactly a smart move yet.  Perhaps I should wait another cycle and see if SP language shows up for me?

Message 12 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

At $7k already? With 6 months activity? I'd be not expecting a huge SP CLI once it shows up.

My experience is that SP CLI are not guaranteed to appear, but they can appear eventually. However I had three apps in the last two years for good limits.

Then 5 CLI on three cards:

$1k + $500 then + $750 = $2,250 (card apped in 2012)

$13k + $1,800 = $14,800

$8,100 + $1,500 + $1,700 = $12,300

$13k no CLI requested recently closed.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

At $7k already? With 6 months activity? I'd be not expecting a huge SP CLI once it shows up.

My experience is that SP CLI are not guaranteed to appear, but they can appear eventually. However I had three apps in the last two years for good limits.

$13k + $1,800 = $14,800

There are plenty of people on this forum that have reported seeing SP CLI language appear as early as months 3-4 and far more at months 5-6.  Since I'm at 6 months and have been putting $3500-$4500 through the card every cycle and paying it off I'm just surprised that it hasn't appeared for me yet.

I don't care how much the SP CLI is, as I'm going to take a HP and ask for $30k.  My question really is whether or not the presence of the SP CLI language can impact a potential HP CLI request.  Maybe it has no bearing on it at all.  I just sort of feel like if they aren't willing to give me anything for a SP CLI, would asking for a HP CLI be an unwise move?

I'm all about timing with these things.  If asking for $30k now is only going to yield me a counter of say $20k, it's not worth it to me if waiting another cycle or two for SP language to appear would mean I could get the full $30k.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Message 14 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Mine didnt even show up til month 9. After all was said and done, when i did eventually get my 1st sp cli , the language showing was the we'll pull a credit report kind and not sp. My reports were frozen anyway but they ended up giving me a $2200 increase which i guess for someone with my profile is alot.

Brutal with your profile, income, and spend, id just shoot for it with your hp, youll most likely get what you are looking for or countered to what you are expecting. Just mhoSmiley Wink
Message 15 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I would say that if your profile supports it, just take the HP and go for it.  The SP language has been constant on my Diamond Preferred and DW's Double Cash for a while now, even though I know we'd be declined due to receiving a CLI in the past 6 months.  It first appeared on my card a little over 2 months after opening the card.  Not huge, but I think I got $1500 the first time and then $3500 the last time.  Just biding my time with the initial balance transfer I did until my 0% clock runs out, then I'll PC to Dividend.  Since they seem to be doing OK for me on SPs, I haven't bothered to take a HP.  But there have been really good reports of high lines for those willing to do it either cold, or immediately after getting a SP CLI.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Citi DC was approved in March with a limit of $1500.

I requested a HP CLI instantaneously upon receipt/activation of the card. I had not ran any spend through it, I literally called to activate it, set up my online account, and went straight to CLI. It was the HP page that you are seeing, so I went for it. It went from $1500>$5000 (3500 increase).

Ever since then, I have only ever seen the SP page every time upon login. I went for it a couple times knowing I was under 6 months, and was instant denial. I waited until October to request my CLI (7 months, knowing I could have done it at 6 but waited for no reason in particular). That SP CLI was only $1500 (5000>6500) which was more in line with the normal SP increases I've read on the forums on this card since receiving it in March from others.

From day 2, up until now, I have only seen SP language. I login at least once a week, sometimes more often and check fairly regularly just to see what it says.

From reading, it seems like the HPs can be (and usually are) quite lucrative in regards to how much of an increase. I'd seen somebody go from 3k>8k in the summer time with their first HP upon receipt of the card. No guarantees, but from DPs that I've read on it.... I'd hazard a guess that if you are willing to take a HP that you may get a considerable jump in CL.

Message 17 of 25
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

$13k + $1,800 = $14,800

There are plenty of people on this forum that have reported seeing SP CLI language appear as early as months 3-4 and far more at months 5-6.  Since I'm at 6 months and have been putting $3500-$4500 through the card every cycle and paying it off I'm just surprised that it hasn't appeared for me yet.

I don't care how much the SP CLI is, as I'm going to take a HP and ask for $30k.  My question really is whether or not the presence of the SP CLI language can impact a potential HP CLI request.  Maybe it has no bearing on it at all.  I just sort of feel like if they aren't willing to give me anything for a SP CLI, would asking for a HP CLI be an unwise move?

I'm all about timing with these things.  If asking for $30k now is only going to yield me a counter of say $20k, it's not worth it to me if waiting another cycle or two for SP language to appear would mean I could get the full $30k.  Hopefully that makes sense.

For me, I didn't get SP CLI language on my Citi DC for about 16 months.  I believe there was no offer for a SP CLI until my BK7 fell off my reports. Ultimately, I did take a HP for a CLI 11 months after getting the card, and I got what I requested.

Interestingly, I did get SP CLI language on the Citi Costco Card long before the DC (like within 2 weeks of getting the card). Didn't work until I hit the 6 month mark.

Citi DC SP Timeline

-  Opened Citi DC in 10/2015 with $9500 CL.

-  Requested HP CLI 09/2015 for $30k. Not autoapproved, but reflected on account less than 24 hours after request.

-  Applied and autoapproved for Citi Costco Visa with $15.5k CL on the same day.

-  BK7 deleted from EQ early 2/2017

-  SP CLI for DC appeared 3/2017.

-  SP CLI requests for both cards submitted 3/2017. CLI $2,200 on DC, $1,900 on Costco

-  SP CLI requests for both cards submitted 9/2017. CLI $3,000 on DC, $2,000 on Costco

Hope that helps.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good info above, Wings, I appreciate it!  Good to see you were able to take your $9500 limit to $30k with a HP.  Do you recall what your EQ score was at the time and around what your monthly spend was on the card in the months leading up to the CLI request?

Message 19 of 25
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good info above, Wings, I appreciate it!  Good to see you were able to take your $9500 limit to $30k with a HP.  Do you recall what your EQ score was at the time and around what your monthly spend was on the card in the months leading up to the CLI request?

Yes, and yes! 

My score EQ08 was 747 when I applied for the CLI (applied for first, followed by the Costco card, both pulls resulted in a 8 pt drop). My BK7 was still reporting. 

My monthly spend was anywhere between $144 and $4400. Average monthly spend from the time the card was opened to the time I requested the HP CLI was $1280. 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.