Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi closed my brother's account.

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Citi closed my brother's account.

my friend with no credit score just applied for zync and it simply said in denial 1 current credit standing and score required.  The zync is being marketed to newer credit and the younger crowd.  I think he would find himself approved!

Message 11 of 15
jforsyth
Regular Contributor

For the record, my brother is very responsible and smart. He's been an old man trapped in a young man's body ever since we were 12. He took care of his payments when the card was active and he paid on time and in full every month.

It's not the end of the world if he doesn't have a card. He's going to plead his case with Citi tomorrow and if they deny him, he says he'll just go with debit for a while, if not until he graduates.

@bostonte wrote:

Only one card on the credit report. That card was opened in Sep 09 (so less than 1 year history). $5,000 income. Maximum previous limit $800.

And you suggest he apply for Amex Zync?

Come on. That was a silly thing to say. That would be a complete waste of at least 1 inquiry, if not multiple.

I've heard of people getting Zync with 1 card at 6 months history.

I was actually planning on applying for it (for Amex backdating) next month once I hit 6 months on my only card that has a $700 dollar limit, although my income is $12k (impressive, huh? haha Smiley Happy) with a part-time job during the school year.

I don't think that's all that silly, although I wouldn't advise it if he's able to get his Citi card back. Go search around other boards and see what type of histories some people had when they were approved. I think you might be surprised. His income is probably going to kill him, though, especially with Amex.

EQ FAKO: 779 (03/26/15)
TU FAKO: 785(03/26/15)
Citi Double Cash | Citi Forward | BankAmericard Cash Rewards | Amex Zync
Message 12 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

i personally would recommend someone to have 3 open trade lines including 1 store card to optimize credit scoring.

1. Amex Zync

2. USbank

3. Discover

Message 13 of 15
jforsyth
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

i personally would recommend someone to have 3 open trade lines including 1 store card to optimize credit scoring.

1. Amex Zync

2. USbank

3. Discover

I was planning on apping for Zync and Citi Forward to complement my BofA MasterCard. I (my girlfriend) spend(s) a lot of (my) money on restaurants, and Forward has 5x points for eating out. Like I mentioned before, I want Zync purely for the backdating for Blue Cash in a couple years.
I'll look into US Bank and Discover, though! Originally I had planned to wait on Discover, so I could get Discover More down the road instead of Discover Student now. Plus, I don't think I would reach the spending tier to get the max benefits out of a Discover card just yet...or get anywhere near it if I were splitting up my spending between 3 cards.
How much of an idiot am I for wanting a Citi card after they gave my brother so much trouble? Smiley Happy

EQ FAKO: 779 (03/26/15)
TU FAKO: 785(03/26/15)
Citi Double Cash | Citi Forward | BankAmericard Cash Rewards | Amex Zync
Message 14 of 15
-RED
Regular Contributor

Citi is simply not personal, and I'd say they did you both a great favor.

Open an account w/a local Credit Union, and apply for a low rate credit card while you are there.

-800 or Bust...!
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.