Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Visitor

Citi closing my account

Hello,

Need some help here. Just got a letter from Citi stating that my account will be closed as I dont fall under the new Citi bank credit standard.

Not sure what that means, I have had the card since 2002, never late or missed a payment.

Although I have a high balance on my citi and two other cards and my current FICO is at 700.

I did call Citi and they said nothing can be done and the card will be closed.

Also once Citi closes my account how will that effect my other two cards will they jump to close those accounts as well?

Do I have any recourse.

Please advise

D

Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi closing my account

I would call back and request to speak with a Supervisor to see if they could keep the account open.

Other than that, not much you really can do.

New Visitor

I did ask for manager and was told that the account will be closed.

Any idea how much will that impact my score?

Moderator Emeritus

darwyn wrote:

I did ask for manager and was told that the account will be closed.

Any idea how much will that impact my score?

I can't say exactly how much it will hurt you but it probably will since it is being closed with a balance still due. That balance will still factor into your utilization plus you are losing the credit limit. May I ask what the utilization is now and what it will be after the credit limit on the Citi card is gone?

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Senior Contributor

Who has your other 2 accounts.

Moderator Emeritus

[ Edited ]

Hi Darwyn,

Sorry about citi.  They've done that to others, so don't feel alone.  Evidently, your high balances are making them nervous.  High balances on accounts are pretty notorious for instigating AA (adverse actions) from creditors - so this isn't unique to citi.

Tell us what your utilization is on all your cards, and we might be able to help you feel your way around a little bit.

Edit:  I see that you've pulled your report and score here.  Let us know what's helping and hurting your score (the 2nd tab on your myfico report).  That will help bring the picture into focus, too.

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
New Visitor

Right now my util on all three cards is at 99%. I am looking to start reducing my util in the next two months.

Regular Contributor

Just a reminder:

As long as you have a balance on a closed card, the credit limit will count in your utilization calculation.  Once it's paid to 0, then it's gone.

(This IS still the case, yes?  I remember Barry explaining it somewhere here.)

Senior Contributor

darwyn wrote:

Right now my util on all three cards is at 99%. I am looking to start reducing my util in the next two months.

That's why they closed your account.

Frequent Contributor

darwyn;

Wow..no wonder they closed your account. The days using 99% have long been over.

If I may, and since you did not report the total amount compared to your credit limit, nor you’re Annual Percentage Rate, I would be very careful that the interest charged to the current balance does not go over your current credit limit.

Suggest you do the math and if the balance goes over, pay whatever you can to stop any further adverse action.

The best of luck to you

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.