Moderator Emeritus
MarineVietVet

Re: Citi closing my account

I need to edit my original post. This is what I said then:

I can't say exactly how much it will hurt you but it probably will since it is being closed with a balance still due. That balance will still factor into your utilization plus you are losing the credit limit. I said that without knowing for certain whether the CL would remain or not.

How this account being closed will affect you depends on several things:

1. If a closed account continues to report the original credit limit, then this CL of the closed account will be used in the utilization calculation.

2. If a closed account is reporting a zero CL, even if there is a balance on the CC, the card will not be included in the calculation.

3. If a closed account reports a CL that is equal to the balance (balance chasing), then this will be included in the calculation.  This is the worst-case scenario with regard to utilization.

So..........will you retain the CL on this card?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}