Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi credit limit increase advice needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi credit limit increase advice needed

So I have been consistently gettin the citi drop down "request a credit limit increase" button every 3 months, and today I got it again, but this time it pulled up the form asking for bank account info, income info, etc.. I assume this is the form for a hard pull. My current limit is at 11,700.  Questions:  Does anyone know how much i could probably get away with getting as far as an increase? (If you gotta take a hard hit might as well make it worth it right? Smiley Tongue Also, do they call your bank and look up your bank account info??  Any advice greatly appreciated as always. Thanks guys.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Citi credit limit increase advice needed

When they hard form was on our business account, they never called bank or us, just the CLI appeared shortly later.  I think I asked for 5 and got 2 or something, they will counter if they can give you all, so I say ask for lots!

Message 2 of 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

I tend to just keep checking back until I don't get the form anymore since would rather avoid the HP, many increases seem to be in the 1- 2k range regardless, though of course YMMV.

Went out on a limb recently and allowed chase and discover to pull for CLI requests (which I wouldn't generally consent to) and went 1 for 2, so doubt I'd try that again, at least not with chase for sure.  So, if you take the plunge, must be prepared for the possibility of an HP and no increase.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 5
tray
Valued Contributor

@score_building wrote:

I tend to just keep checking back until I don't get the form anymore since would rather avoid the HP, many increases seem to be in the 1- 2k range regardless, though of course YMMV.

Went out on a limb recently and allowed chase and discover to pull for CLI requests (which I wouldn't generally consent to) and went 1 for 2, so doubt I'd try that again, at least not with chase for sure.  So, if you take the plunge, must be prepared for the possibility of an HP and no increase.

Score building is so right, had the form on my online account from citi a few days ago, and said no way for a hard pull kept checking and today no hard form stating cannot grant increase online and to call so I did,   requested $1,400 was granted $1,200.  My cl is now at $6,800 and only have had my card for 6 months now all I can say is if you can get in with citi it is worth it as this bank is generous with cli's than other banks.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 5
USC08
Frequent Contributor

I've had my Citi Platinum Card since July 08. I've always seen the Credit Limit Increase in the drop down menu, BUT it seems everytime I click it i get the same old message generated about balance(s) being high as the reason. It's been a $1k limit since i got it. I've charged it to almost 90% of the limit then pay it off, leave a balance then pay it down etc etc. I've never had the "form" pop up when requesting for a credit increase.

Should I take a chance and request one over the phone?

myFICO - EQ: 776 EX: 763 TU: 791
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.