Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi customer service leaves me confused

tag
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Citi customer service leaves me confused

I called citi today to apply for the platinum select card. I also wanted to know if, should I be denied, I would then be considered for a student version. She informed me first, that only the forward has a student version. Then, with some prompting, she admitted there might be other student cards, but you could only apply for the forward over the phone. She then said I had to apply either for the student card or regular, but couldn't be considered for both. I thought several people had posted here that the opposite was true. Has anyone had direct experience with either of these issues? Specifically, has anyone applied for the plat select student over the phone or been considered for student/no student versions with one app?
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi customer service leaves me confused

Just apply for the student version, it has lower approval criteria. There is no difference once you get the card, assuming you are approved.

Message 2 of 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Actually, the student versionhas lower limits and 7 mos zero interest vs 18, so there are reasons to want to be considered for the nonstudent one first.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
Actually, the student versionhas lower limits and 7 mos zero interest vs 18, so there are reasons to want to be considered for the nonstudent one first.

Which is why it has lower approval criteria, because its term is more relaxing. Limit does not matter, because you can CLI gradually (Citi does soft pull on CLI if you do it online and accpet counter offer when you ask too much). Question is, do you really need 18 months zero interest on purchases?

As far as I know, Citi does not drop you down to student version. You can just app the standard version, and if approved, your APR can be as high as 20.99%. If denied, you can recon with Citi.

Message 4 of 8
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

I honeslty get left confused with Citi's customer service as well. I called in a few days ago for my Forward as I had a pending authorization that was suppose to be released and its been locked for 2 weeks. When I called they said deal with the company you ordered from. So I did. After dealing with them and getting the run around I contacted Citi again and told them the problem again....The agent I spoke with got on a conference call with the merchant, spoke with the rep directly, they started going at it over whos fault it was Smiley Very Happy and 5mins later the problem was solved. I guess it depends on the person you get answering the phones. 

Message 5 of 8
mmt
Established Member

I am a little confused on this topic as well. I recently got the Citi Forward (with a $3000 CL) and the application for both the student and non-student card looks exactly the same. The application asks if you are a student so I assume this is where they get the distinction for if you are applying for the student version or the regular version. I am not sure that the decision is actually in your hands. Thing is, nowhere on anything I have gotten from them does it say that I have the card for college students. It also does not note it on my online account. Does anyone know if it says this anywhere or is it something it is necessary to call for? I was assuming I got the non-student version until I noticed that my intro APR was only for 7 months versus the 12 months listed for the regular card. I was hoping I got the non-student card because of the points bonus for spending a certain amount in the first 3 months, but it now looks like that may not be the case. If it ends up I have the non-student version of the card then that would indicate that applying for a student version can lead to getting the non-student version of the card. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a student. I filled out the application putting down that I am a student and got the non-student card, 0% APR for 12 months. Like a lot of people noted the applications are identical so I assume you are first considered for the regular card if you are a student and if not approved then the student card. I also got the regular version's sign up bonus.

Looking at the list of cards, there is also a student version of Dividend and a student version of Platinum Select. I'm not sure why that CSR was so misinformed.

Message 7 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Which is why it has lower approval criteria, because its term is more relaxing. Limit does not matter, because you can CLI gradually (Citi does soft pull on CLI if you do it online and accpet counter offer when you ask too much). Question is, do you really need 18 months zero interest on purchases?

As far as I know, Citi does not drop you down to student version. You can just app the standard version, and if approved, your APR can be as high as 20.99%. If denied, you can recon with Citi.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.