Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi doesn't mess around...GEEZ

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi doesn't mess around...GEEZ

I turned off auto-pay for my Citi card because I changed banks and forgot to re-add it with the new bank account. My payment was due on 9/8. No phone calls about missing the payment, but today got an email that my credit line was reduced ON A DIFFERENT CITI CARD I HAVE to what the balance was, and was sent to collections. Then got an automated call that I needed to call them. I paid the payment over the phone and they reinstated everything, but geesh, what crawled up Citi's butt?? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi doesn't mess around...GEEZ

I wouldnt sweat it, as you were only a few days late which would be a fee at worst. No chance of a late payment reporting or anything.
Message 2 of 8
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't expect them to call you. Though if you had your alerts on I suspect they woul have emailed you or sent you a text.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They don't play with late payments. It's that critical that you stay on top of it. Oh well
Message 4 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

When lenders/creditors talk about sending a bill to collections, how often are they selling a debt to third party vs. sending it to another department within the same company?

A few years back I confused one small medical bill for another and ended up being a few months late to pay.* The mailed notice either said or implied the debt had already been sold to a third party, but I think the debit card transaction ended up coding the payment as going to the hospital itself.

*It never appeared on any CR, so no credit repair efforts are/were necessary.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 8
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
They don't play with late payments. It's that critical that you stay on top of it. Oh well

+1

It only takes one time to dive bomb a profile so it's of the utmost importance to live, eat, and sleep with those accounts so that you keep due dates well ahead of either your attention and/or the machines that make the choices for you.

Message 6 of 8
yfan
Valued Contributor

They don't mess around, and they shouldn't mess around. It's your job to stay on top of what you owe. While it's understandable that you forgot to add the new account, all Citi knows is you didn't pay. There's no bug up their butt. They are looking out for the money they lent out.
Message 7 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im always skeptical on their cards like Simplicity that says no late fees ever. Really. No consequences either? Smiley Wink. I prefer not to miss a payment or pay late then to test that theory.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.