Did you mean: 

Citi forward amazon no longer 5%...

tag
epicureanism
Contributor

Re: Citi forward amazon no longer 5%...

@epicureanism wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

With the "no fee" Preferrend card earning 2X TY points on dining and entertainment, I'd imagine Citi will eventually phase out the 5X bonus structure for the non-student Forward.

Then Thankyou points will become useless even with Thankyou premier since it is very difficult to accumulate the points. 

Also more and more people will choose the ultimate rewards system I think. 

Current Cards: BOA Better Rewards (2.5k), Citi Forward (2k), AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6k), AMEX SPG (7.5k), DISCOVER (1k), Chase Freedom (7k).

Credit Karma: 752, Credit Sesame: 736.
Message 31 of 39
Open123
Super Contributor

@epicureanism wrote:

Then Thankyou points will become useless even with Thankyou premier since it is very difficult to accumulate the points. 

Sure, unless it's with a sign-up bonus or a 5X promo (for grocery and drugstores), it appeas besides the student-Forward, 2X dining & entertainment will be as good as it gets.

On the other hand, no big loss, since TY points are really only worth it if you can amass them through bonuses.  Unless for mortgage or student loan redemptions, it certainly isn't worth spending actual money for their points.

Message 32 of 39
Open123
Super Contributor

@epicureanism wrote:

@epicureanism wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

With the "no fee" Preferrend card earning 2X TY points on dining and entertainment, I'd imagine Citi will eventually phase out the 5X bonus structure for the non-student Forward.

Also more and more people will choose the ultimate rewards system I think. 

Sure, the UR program is in every way so much superior to the TY program that the *only* way to use a TY card is they did give me 5X spending.

Message 33 of 39
epicureanism
Contributor

Yeah so let's wait to see what actions Citi will take =)

Current Cards: BOA Better Rewards (2.5k), Citi Forward (2k), AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6k), AMEX SPG (7.5k), DISCOVER (1k), Chase Freedom (7k).

Credit Karma: 752, Credit Sesame: 736.
Message 34 of 39
Open123
Super Contributor

@epicureanism wrote:

Yeah so let's wait to see what actions Citi will take =)

If they could manage to add on some travel partners, it would be great.  Adding on Hilton was a good start, but they need more.  Given the proprietary and exclusive nature of their AA relationship, you would think AA would be a TY transfer partner, but even AA feels the TY points have been so easily distributed, they're concerned with further devaluation through this points inflation.

Given the nature of Citi's infinite 5X bonuses, generous handouts to CitiGold customers and sign-up bonuses, I'd imagine any potential travel partner would share AA's concern.

Message 35 of 39
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

I just checked my July statement, and I'm still receiving 5 typ per dollar on my amazon purchases...Although I wonder if its because I'm still under my 12 mo 0% intro period. This was my last month of the intro, so we'll see....
TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 36 of 39
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@searchingfor67 wrote:
Oh oh...I'm afraid it's true. I copied the following from my online card benefits page. I will be looking to PC to sometime else. It's no longer beneficial to me:

Card Features

Up to 2% purchase APR reduction when you make a purchase, pay on time and stay under the credit limit 3 billing months in a row (0.25% per quarter, up to 8x max)
Earn at least 1 ThankYou® Point for every $1 you spend on purchases including in popular categories like restaurants and entertainment
Earn up to 1,200 bonus ThankYou® Points for paying on time and staying under your credit limit
You can redeem ThankYou Points for almost anything from gift cards, electronics, and travel to student loan rebates and statement credits; with rewards starting at 1,000 points
Chip technology – enjoy global acceptance and enhanced security with your chip card at merchants that use chip terminals to accept your payment

That's weird. GF has a Forward siggy with an EMV chip. How would a bonus for staying below your CL work on a siggy?

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 37 of 39
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

Anyone else have any updates on this?  I still get 5 TY points per dollar spent on my Amazon purchases, according to my last statement.

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 38 of 39
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

Anyone else have any updates on this?  I still get 5 TY points per dollar spent on my Amazon purchases, according to my last statement.

The card still gives 5x at Amazon.  There was confusion due to a bug some months ago, but nothing has changed on the card.

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.