Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi forward amazon no longer 5%...

tag
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi forward amazon no longer 5%...

Amazon uses different MCC codes for different departments within their website. Buying a toy for instance will have a different MCC code than renting a movie from their Instant Video service.

Message 21 of 39
epicureanism
Contributor

@sengpatt wrote:

Can't find the link now, but saw something that said different kinds of purchases from Amazon fall under different merchant codes.

So, for example, using Amazon Payments falls under a different category than a general purchase. IIRC, there were separate codes for music/video, 3rd party merchants, etc. So depending on your specific purchase, your transaction might have fallen under a different code than what is covered by the Forward (i.e. Bookstores). Can you check online to see how it was coded?

I understand this. I just bought books not sold by 3rd party. 

Current Cards: BOA Better Rewards (2.5k), Citi Forward (2k), AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6k), AMEX SPG (7.5k), DISCOVER (1k), Chase Freedom (7k).

Credit Karma: 752, Credit Sesame: 736.
Message 22 of 39
epicureanism
Contributor

@Radek7752 wrote:

@epicureanism wrote:

My last statement came out on June 18th. After careful inspection, I found citi only gives 1% to Amazon. Before June, I always receive 5% on Amazon. Anyone else on this board experienced this change as well? Thanks! 

I really hope this is not the case... It would really hurt the Citi Forward and the Forward -- TY Preferred/Premier pairing. It's possible that Citi is trying to make the card more profitable and decided to eliminate bonus points on Amazon purchases. I know I certainly wouldn't spend as much at a regular bookstore as I do on Amazon.

I saw the same post elsewhere saying that Amazon is not counted as 5% in their conditions. 

Current Cards: BOA Better Rewards (2.5k), Citi Forward (2k), AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6k), AMEX SPG (7.5k), DISCOVER (1k), Chase Freedom (7k).

Message 23 of 39
911gt34life
Frequent Contributor

it over for citi forward no longer offer 5% check my account few time kind of sad .. if you have the College Students forward you still get 5 point for every dollar so look like normal forward that has been remove it has been down upgrade to 1 point for every dollar.

>
Message 24 of 39
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Oh oh...I'm afraid it's true. I copied the following from my online card benefits page. I will be looking to PC to sometime else. It's no longer beneficial to me:

Card Features

Up to 2% purchase APR reduction when you make a purchase, pay on time and stay under the credit limit 3 billing months in a row (0.25% per quarter, up to 8x max)
Earn at least 1 ThankYou® Point for every $1 you spend on purchases including in popular categories like restaurants and entertainment
Earn up to 1,200 bonus ThankYou® Points for paying on time and staying under your credit limit
You can redeem ThankYou Points for almost anything from gift cards, electronics, and travel to student loan rebates and statement credits; with rewards starting at 1,000 points
Chip technology – enjoy global acceptance and enhanced security with your chip card at merchants that use chip terminals to accept your payment
TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 25 of 39
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@searchingfor67 wrote:
Oh oh...I'm afraid it's true. I copied the following from my online card benefits page. I will be looking to PC to sometime else. It's no longer beneficial to me:

Card Features

Up to 2% purchase APR reduction when you make a purchase, pay on time and stay under the credit limit 3 billing months in a row (0.25% per quarter, up to 8x max)
Earn at least 1 ThankYou® Point for every $1 you spend on purchases including in popular categories like restaurants and entertainment
Earn up to 1,200 bonus ThankYou® Points for paying on time and staying under your credit limit
You can redeem ThankYou Points for almost anything from gift cards, electronics, and travel to student loan rebates and statement credits; with rewards starting at 1,000 points
Chip technology – enjoy global acceptance and enhanced security with your chip card at merchants that use chip terminals to accept your payment

It's said that for ever, Citi is horrible at not telling you the offer once you have the card and use "At least" or "Unless you have applied for a time-limited offer...."

But as people check their July statements, I guess we will know more.   I suspect that eventually the Forward (non-student) will just be replaced, rather than doing piecemail adjustments to rewards first.

Message 26 of 39
epicureanism
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@searchingfor67 wrote:

Card Features

It's said that for ever, Citi is horrible at not telling you the offer once you have the card and use "At least" or "Unless you have applied for a time-limited offer...."

But as people check their July statements, I guess we will know more.   I suspect that eventually the Forward (non-student) will just be replaced, rather than doing piecemail adjustments to rewards first.

Well I have the student version of Forward and no 5% on Amazon already. 

Message 27 of 39
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

You guys should call to double check if you are still getting the points.....mine is saying the same thing online but when I asked a rep over the phone they are still saying I am enrolled so we will see.

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 28 of 39
Open123
Super Contributor

With the "no fee" Preferrend card earning 2X TY points on dining and entertainment, I'd imagine Citi will eventually phase out the 5X bonus structure for the non-student Forward.

Message 29 of 39
epicureanism
Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

With the "no fee" Preferrend card earning 2X TY points on dining and entertainment, I'd imagine Citi will eventually phase out the 5X bonus structure for the non-student Forward.

Then Thankyou points will become useless even with Thankyou premier since it is very difficult to accumulate the points. 

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.