Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi forward vs Citi Platinum Select..

tag
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Citi forward vs Citi Platinum Select..

I am going to apply for one of these cards but I don't know which one. I did check out the card comparer on myfico but I want to get your opinion on which to get. I am looking for the one that will give me the highest CL, and is good for balance transfers. I was leaning towards the platinum card, but idk.

Which one would you pick? I got an invitation form in the mail for both cards.

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi forward vs Citi Platinum Select..

Platinum card, IMHO, if you want a professional looking card, or a slightly lower interest rate.  The rewards on the Forward card are very good, especially if you eat out a lot.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 6
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I think it really depends on ultimately what you want out of the card.  I have a few rewards cards already so when I applied last month I went for the Plat Select card since it had the 0% promo for 12 months as that was what I needed (car repairs).  I was instantly approved and received the card in a few business days.  The Extra Cash program is kind of cool if you're an Amazon fan as they have daily deals (like Amazon) that you can purchase using your EC dollars.  They also gave me a $30 statement credit on my first bill.  So far they've been easy to deal with.  I had considered the Forward card too as the 5% back on music, restaurants and books is a program I'd take advantage of as I shop a lot on Amazon.  But the Plat Select won...

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 3 of 6
ebaniaga
Established Member

Citi has a promo online for the Citi Forward for a $50 statement credit after spending $50.  Along with that you get a 2,500 bonus points for signing up for paperless statements and 6,000 bonus points for spending $250.  These bonus points are enough for another $50 statement credit.  That right there is a free $100, which is something to consider.  I'm not sure about the balance transfers, but I just got approved with a 4k limit and a 15k income, my highest CL.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Citi Forward,  was approved a year ago for a 6.5k limit,  much higher than my Cap One Cash rewards card.     I've been happyh with the Citi Forward card,  Points are pretty easy to get if you eat out,  5 points/dollar at restaurants adds up quick.   My only complaint about the card is that you can only make 4 online payments per month,   I like to not cary a balance, so with my Cap One card,   i just send them cash every few days when new items post.  with the Citi Card i can only pay once/week.  but it's still a great card IMHO.  

Message 5 of 6
ShootingStar
Regular Contributor

What type of scores are they looking for?  Do they excuse older baddies?  I just received an invitation to apply, but don't want to try it if they'll only turn around and deny me!  Smiley Wink

"It's myFICO and I can cry if I want to!"

Starting Score January 1, 2010: 640
Current Scores Updated Sept. 6, 2011: EQ: 765 / TU: 778 / EX PLUS: 773
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

"Working my way up!" Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.