Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi ignores the "opt out"

tag
sbeasl11
Regular Contributor

Citi ignores the "opt out"

My husband & I both have "opted out" for a couple of years now. About 6 months ago, we started getting offers again through the mail. I understand that the process is for a time period & you have to opt out again, every so often. I did so again & stopped getting offers...with the exception of Citi. We both get mail from them EVERY week.

We are still in the rebuilding phase & our scores are still below 650. These are not preapprovals, but simply invitation letters. I have seriously shredded at least 20 of these. Why do they ignore the opt out option? Is anyone else being harrassed by them?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi ignores the "opt out"

I may be wrong, but I do not believe opting out stops invitations to apply. An invitation to apply is not a result of looking at your credit report.

Message 2 of 6
100down0monthly
New Contributor

Lenders share a lot of information with each other as well.

Message 3 of 6
john398
Senior Contributor

Are these offers for branded cards such as the American Airlines Advantage card?

Message 4 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@sbeasl11 wrote:

My husband & I both have "opted out" for a couple of years now. About 6 months ago, we started getting offers again through the mail. I understand that the process is for a time period & you have to opt out again, every so often. I did so again & stopped getting offers...with the exception of Citi. We both get mail from them EVERY week.

We are still in the rebuilding phase & our scores are still below 650. These are not preapprovals, but simply invitation letters. I have seriously shredded at least 20 of these. Why do they ignore the opt out option? Is anyone else being harrassed by them?

Do you have any Citi accounts? If so a lot of lenders have that clause you agree to sharing by third parties hidden in the fine print.

Just a thought

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 6
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Opting out is not a do not mail list.  It means they can't pull your report for promotional offers but they can send you things if they have your information through other means.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.