Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi is Now Doing Card Conversions to the new "Thank You" Cards

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Citi is Now Doing Card Conversions to the new "Thank You" Cards

Hi everyone,

As the title says, most cards are eligible for conversion to this new thank you card.  I just called this morning and had my Citi Forward card converted to a Thank You Preferred MasterCard.  What they do, is they send you the terms, and you have 45 days to call and cancel the conversion.  When you don't, after 45 days, you will get the new card in the mail.  So my conversion starts today, and March 5th I will get my card!

Good news for people stuck with a card they don't like @ citi.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi is Now Doing Card Conversions to the new "Thank You" Cards

Hmmm...I wonder if they do this for my Citi backed zales card???

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 7
smc733
Valued Contributor

@BungalowMo wrote:

Hmmm...I wonder if they do this for my Citi backed zales card???

Doubtful.  If it's a Visa/MC there's a chance, but if its a store card, definitely not, as that's pursuant to an agreement between Citi and the store.  If it is, you'll notice "Citi/Zales" on your CR as opposed to just "Citi"

As always, it can never hurt to call them and try!

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

When you do conversion, you loose the points on the existing account unless you redeem them before the conversion. Am I correct?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smc733 wrote:

Hi everyone,

As the title says, most cards are eligible for conversion to this new thank you card.  I just called this morning and had my Citi Forward card converted to a Thank You Preferred MasterCard.  What they do, is they send you the terms, and you have 45 days to call and cancel the conversion.  When you don't, after 45 days, you will get the new card in the mail.  So my conversion starts today, and March 5th I will get my card!

@Anonymous news for people stuck with a card they don't like @ citi.

Why woudl you change your Forward card to the ThankYou Preferred? Besides the bonus 2 points per $1 for the first year, the Forward is much better. And the Forward has bonus monthly 1,200 points which more than offsets the 2:1 points. IIRC, your young in your twentys. I would assume you eat out a lot and watch movies. Why would you not want the Forward instead?!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also if you go to the Citi website and compare the two cards using Citi's compare cards option, you will notice that Forward has a lot more other benefits than ThankYou Preferred, such as auto insurance, travel insurance, travel emergency asst, etc.

Message 6 of 7
smc733
Valued Contributor

Well, tbh, my Amex PR Gold and my BankAmericard give me that. 

I rarely use this card anyway, and it's nice to have a MasterCard in my wallet.  And I certainly don't get the 1,200 bonus points, ever.  Not sure if the points are going to transfer over.  And tbh, most of my spending is done on electronics and stores like CVS and groceries.  Not too big on eating out/movies, though I usually do once or twice a month.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.