Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi is Rate Jacking Me

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi is Rate Jacking Me

@Anonymous wrote:
I just used the backdoor number and they dropped my rate from 14.99% to 5.9%. I was at 4.9% before the rj, but I'm not complaining.

Very nice, congrats
Message 21 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just used the backdoor number and they dropped my rate from 14.99% to 5.9%. I was at 4.9% before the rj, but I'm not complaining.

I managed to get my rate reduced when they tried to increase me last month. This month, they gave me a $1200 CLI just to apologize, I guess. ;-)
Message 22 of 74
fused
Moderator Emeritus

CITI just rate jacked me too. My APR went from 8.24% to 15.99%. I didn't do anything wrong, CITI is just over leveraged and gasping for air.

Message 23 of 74
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

My Citi AAdvantage AMEX went from an APR of 13.99% in December to this month (January 2009) at 11.29%.

No explanation in my online Citi statement for the APR decrease.

However, they will not approve a CLI for me. No lates, no BK, no derogatories period. Been with Citi since March 1999 and never once been over the limit or late on any payment with them or anyone else. My available credit line is only $5,810. My fico scores range from 721 to 739.

They must really be doing some belt tightening.

Message 24 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

I, too, received a RJ from Citi (7.99% to 14.99%) and called the number listed on the reverse of the card.  Didn't realize there were secret, backdoor numbers so I'll use that approach the next time it happens which, I'm sure it will.  My Citi card dates back to '92, my very first credit card while in college.  The woman initially told me I could say 'no' to the new terms and the card would expire at the end of its current term.  I told the woman there was no way I would be throwing away 16+ yrs of credit history and I would like a credit review for a lower APR.  She told me there was nothing she could do so I asked to speak with her supervisor and with some nudging and telling her I'd just stop using the card without canceling it, the woman miraculously came up with 11.15%.  Not as great as the lower APRs I've read but it was more of a game than anything else to me.  I pay my balances each month in full.  Fortunate me.
Message 25 of 74
oracles
Valued Contributor

@fused wrote:

CITI just rate jacked me too. My APR went from 8.24% to 15.99%. I didn't do anything wrong, CITI is just over leveraged and gasping for air.

Fused definitely call the backdoor number and ask them to review your account and if they can please re-instate or reduce your apr. It has been successful for many people.

Message 26 of 74
oracles
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I, too, received a RJ from Citi (7.99% to 14.99%) and called the number listed on the reverse of the card.  Didn't realize there were secret, backdoor numbers so I'll use that approach the next time it happens which, I'm sure it will.  My Citi card dates back to '92, my very first credit card while in college.  The woman initially told me I could say 'no' to the new terms and the card would expire at the end of its current term.  I told the woman there was no way I would be throwing away 16+ yrs of credit history and I would like a credit review for a lower APR.  She told me there was nothing she could do so I asked to speak with her supervisor and with some nudging and telling her I'd just stop using the card without canceling it, the woman miraculously came up with 11.15%.  Not as great as the lower APRs I've read but it was more of a game than anything else to me.  I pay my balances each month in full.  Fortunate me.

Hi Blue and welcome to the forums

I would really call the backdoor number and tell them that you are really disappointed with the new apr and can they please do a review again. You will be speaking to someone else beside a supervisor or frontline rep.

You will be speaking to a credit analyst and they are better to speak with. 

I would not wait for the next time, i would do it now.

Hey you never know until you try and its only one phone call

Hope this helps and keep us updated

Message 27 of 74
FLA-8

Which one of the backdoor telephone #'s listed for Citi is everyone using. Not sure which # will get me too the correct dept.

Thanks 

Message Edited by FLA-8 on 01-23-2009 12:52 PM
Message 28 of 74
score_building
Senior Contributor

citi retention dept. back door: 1 (800) 444-2568

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 29 of 74
FLA-8

Thank You,

I haven't received my bill yet but when I viewed my bill on-line they have jacked my APR after  lowering it last month.

Message 30 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.