Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi is Rate Jacking Me

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi is Rate Jacking Me

I just called the retention dep't at CITI, no dice. I did learn a bit of helpful of information, however. The hung-over sounding fellow I spoke with said "if I want to revolve a balance in the future, give him a call back and he will let me know if something good becomes available." Evidently, CITI's cost to do business has drastically increased, so transactions fees are not enough for them, they want to make MUCH more on FCs. Understandable!

I didn't fight with the guy or threaten to close the card. I will make one charge a month for less than $3, pay half of it, and let the card report a $2 balance or so. It's painfully obvious that Amex and CITI are gasping for air.

Message 31 of 74
oracles
Valued Contributor

wow sorry about that fused, i am shocked to hear that.

I along with others were successful at getting them to reduce the apr, sometimes lower than the original apr.

Maybe you got the wrong person, i would try one more time.

Message 32 of 74
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Nah! My days of behaving like a bulldog and forcing CCCs to give me what I want are long over. For me, it's better to sit back and just let CITI suffocate. I have no allegiance to them.
Message 33 of 74
oracles
Valued Contributor

Message 34 of 74
marty56
Super Contributor

@fused wrote:
Nah! My days of behaving like a bulldog and forcing CCCs to give me what I want are long over. For me, it's better to sit back and just let CITI suffocate. I have no allegiance to them.

I prefer the passive-agressive approach where I keep my CCCs PIF and if I need to make a major purchase, use their history to get a 0% loan in a store on Bill Me Latter. 
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 35 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

DUDE .... thanks!!!!  I didn't even notice but Citi raised my rate to 18.99% last month.  I just called the backdoor number you posted and told them I was going to close my account because the new interest rate was ridiculous.  They immediately lowered it to 6.99% (Prime + 3.74%).  It is now my lowest rate CC, has a $0 balance, and has $20k in available credit ...

Thanks again :-)

Message 36 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just stumbled on this forum when I received my citibank bill this month. Noticed the rate increased and went googling for answers. I tried the tactics many of you have used (back door number) and got no where with the gentlemen. He basically said I could opt out or if I do not like the terms I could "feel free" to balance transfer elsewhere. I hold a small tab on their (was at 6%) and was paying a few hundred a month off my credit card bill as the 6% didnt bother me much, but at the 14.99 rate the fees are unreasonable. This is my oldest card and would like to stay with the company. Any suggestions, should I call back another time, be more forceful?

my Visa with them went to 19.99 percent as well, but I never use that card...

Message Edited by jdh0526 on 01-26-2009 09:08 AM
Message 37 of 74
oracles
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just stumbled on this forum when I received my citibank bill this month. Noticed the rate increased and went googling for answers. I tried the tactics many of you have used (back door number) and got no where with the gentlemen. He basically said I could opt out or if I do not like the terms I could "feel free" to balance transfer elsewhere. I hold a small tab on their (was at 6%) and was paying a few hundred a month off my credit card bill as the 6% didnt bother me much, but at the 14.99 rate the fees are unreasonable. This is my oldest card and would like to stay with the company. Any suggestions, should I call back another time, be more forceful?

Hi Jdh and welcome to the forums.

I definitely think you should call the backdoor number again and try your luck with someone else. Sometimes it is a matter of speaking to the right person. Ask if they can do a review of your account because the apr is ridiculously high and you would like it lowered. YMMV

If first you don't succeed, try again.

Message 38 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Without a doubt. In fact, I'd call back right now.

When this happened to me a couple of months ago, the woman I spoke with was a bit snotty from the very beginning. She pretty much told me what this guy told you:  feel free to take a hike. There was about a 15 second pause where niether of us said a word and I almost just hung up on her. She had asked, "I don't know what you want me to do about it" and I said, "I want you to honor the written guarantee that was issued when I obtained this card, which said that Citi would "never increase" the APR absent an account default." Fifteen seconds of silence. Then she says, out of the blue, "Well, I guess I COULD reduce your rate by 1.25%. Do you want me to do that?"  Mind you, she wasn't just reducing the INCREASE by 1.25%, she was reducing the ORIGINAL rate by 1.25%.  She actually proposed it like it was a BAD thing. lol.  I almost asked, "Is this a trick question?"

Sixty days later, I got a $1,200 CLI, too.

Several others have reported that they've had to call 2 or 3 times to get results.

Bottom line:  Call again. I think the woman I spoke with was just in a bad mood that day, and I'm sure she was buried in complaint calls. You know how it goes. I'd keep calling until I found a friendly voice. Just because one says no, doesn't mean the next one won't be more cooperative.

Message 39 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks, I am glad I found this forum, not only for this subject, but the forum in general is very resourceful! I will call again tonight and hope to get someone else. thanks for the welcome!

Message 40 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.