Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi lower APR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi lower APR

Hey guys just signed up here been reading the forums for awhile but decided I’d start to participate.

I recently was approved for the Citi Prestige card and though I usually PIF all my cards I’m going to be doing a lot of traveling this summer in which I may not be able to. So I wondering if you guys have any tips in lowering Apr with citi by just asking. My saphire card has a lot better apr but obviously not at good benefits.

Any tips are welcome. Thank you!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi lower APR

I recently did a round of requests with all my card issuers to reduce my APRs.  I actually had the most luck with Citi; my lowest APR is with them now.

There's no real trick to it.  Make sure you make it clear that you're not interested in short-term promotional APRs (which they may offer first), and they should be able to grant your request.  I got reductions of 1.5% to 2.5% across the board.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just use the online chat and you should usually get some luck. I have had my Citi ThankYou Premier 23%+ APR down to 17.49% in two billing periods. It's now my 3rd lowest APR.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good, I’ll try the chat and update of any success! Or fails... lol
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE, I took the chat route and went down from a crazy 21.99% to an okay 17.49% I'll try again in 6 months. Just in time for my big europe trip. Thanks for both of your guys help!

Message 5 of 12
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Nicely done!

Message 6 of 12
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Good job!

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your success, but you don't have to wait to try for more.

I was approved for Citi DC last year and went from 21.99 to 14.99 after several days of getting reductions through chat. Try tomorrow; if they don't offer a reduction then, you might get one the next day

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh nice! How did you position that if you can recall? I thought they’d be able to see that I made a recent request and would ask why I’m asking for another.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

just hopped on chat each time; I think it was 5 different decreases over the course of 7 or 8 days.  All were at least 1%; at least one was for 2%.

They may be able to see that one had already been done, but still lowered what I had

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.