Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi, now offers "Chip and Signature" Technology

tag
L-TWT
Established Contributor

Citi, now offers "Chip and Signature" Technology

Hi, myFICO forum

My name is L-TWT, and i"m new to these forums, and I just wanted to share with you guys that Citi now offers "Chip and Signature" Technology.

These past weekend I received in the mail a new Citi Dividend World Elite Masercard, which to my surprise came with a new micoprocessor chip embedded on the front of it and the mastercard logo, which on my previous card was the standard "Orange/Yellow" is now all silver.

Enclosed with my new card was a letter which stated "we are now offerring chip technology to our global elite world travels so all transactions will not be interruted no matter were in the world you may travel" Never knew i was considered a "World Elite Global Traveler" <smiles> B/C i"m just a recent Graduate Student and only travel 1-2 per year, but my parents on the other end travel very frequently on business and have a lot of assets within citibank, yet they have not received this technology yet, go figure!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi, now offers "Chip and Signature" Technology

Hi L-TWT and Welcome to the Forums!

Thanks for sharing this information, I'm sure some of the Members here that are Citi Cardholders will find this information useful.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Again Welcome to MyFicoSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 16
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I called citi about this and they are offering only a select few people by invitation. They said it is not available by requst. They suggested best thing is to wait for them to complete PC for my Citi Divedend Card to AA Exec card which comes with the Chip Technology.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm I have the dividend world elite. Gonna call and ask.
Message 4 of 16
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

I think "chip and signature" is slightly different than "chip and pin" that they use in Europe. Not sure what happens if a machine asks you for your PIN.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point, there was a thread about that on flyertalk. Tried calling earlier, they said to call back in two hours because the system was refreshing. Lol only citi. Have better things to do today though. Maybe later lol.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically chip and sig cards will only work in places where you can sign the slip since they have no pin. They are procecessed though the standard EMV but without pin. So if the terminal requires a pin and will only process it that way that card won't work. For many/most transactions they will be fine.
Message 7 of 16
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I just recently asked for it and received it on my Thank You Preferred.  It is "chip and signature" but if it asks for your pin you just hit enter from what the rep told me.

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 8 of 16
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@ArisGreek wrote:

Yeah, I just recently asked for it and received it on my Thank You Preferred.  It is "chip and signature" but if it asks for your pin you just hit enter from what the rep told me.

Yeah they just told me that its available for my Dividend MC and my Diamond Preferred MC. Going to give them a call today to confirm and request it. Will let you all know.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're sending me one for the dividend WE ... Well supposedly ... The rep didn't speak fluent English. Hmm normally I get American reps... Grumble. But that's another topic.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.