Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi preapproval letter question

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Citi preapproval letter question

I got a preapproval letter from citi for the AA advantage cc. I'm not apping for it because it would be no use to me and I'm in the garden. But I am curious, when you get a preapproval letter from citi or chase....does that mean you have a good shot at one of their other cards? I like the thank you card from citi.

Sorry for any typos....I'm on my android
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Citi preapproval letter question

I wouldn't know about whether that means you gotta a good shot or not.  If you want one of their cards, why not try?

Do I question why you say you are in the garden?  And I wouldn't want to push you out of the garden either.

But your cards are meh.  You have a lot of store cards.  You have a visa, two discovers, and one Amex.

IMO, I would axe your store cards (or SD is more like it) and maybe go for a card that is not a store card like a citi card.

Message 2 of 7
beb86
Valued Contributor

Citi sends pre-approvals out like crazy....my wife got one for the TYP card and she has horrible credit 

Message 3 of 7
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

yes i believe it stems for more advertising i have a citi card already and i recieve like 3 preapprroval offers a week from a variety of there other cards.

Message 4 of 7
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

I wouldn't know about whether that means you gotta a good shot or not.  If you want one of their cards, why not try?

Do I question why you say you are in the garden?  And I wouldn't want to push you out of the garden either.

But your cards are meh.  You have a lot of store cards.  You have a visa, two discovers, and one Amex.

IMO, I would axe your store cards (or SD is more like it) and maybe go for a card that is not a store card like a citi card.

I am in the garden because all of the cards that I have, have only been opened since August and/or September of this year. So I need some time to pass from all the inquiries and new accounts. I want the GE cards to grow so that when I go for a Chase Freedom card next year, they will give me a decent limit. All of my cards serve some sort of purpose and are ones that will grow in the next year. I got the two gas cards to get a foot in the door with citi and chase. The Old Navy, Walmart and Amazon will eventually turn into visas and discovers. The Brylane Homes....well, I just got it because it said I could have it and I fell to the dark side....lol    I have no desire to apply for anything else unless there was a chance I could get the Freedom sooner but I don't think I have enough history for that yet. All my revolving accounts are new and other than that....the only other things on my reports are an old home loan and an old car loan that will both be falling off over the next two years.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 5 of 7
HiHiHiHiHiHi
New Contributor

Citi sends my brother offers for credit cards almost every day. They've sent him Simplicity, Thank You, Thank You Premier,  AA and others. My brother charged off two Citi cards two years ago. So every time he applies he's denied. I don't get why they would send him so many offers when they know they're going to deny him.

Scores: EQ-798 EX-802 TU-786

CC: |Amex PRG - NPSL| |Citi Simplicity - 22.6K| |CapOne No Hassle Rewards - 20K| |Chase Freedom 17.5K| |CSP 15K| |Discover IT - 7.8K| |Discover More - 6.1K| |GE PC Richard - 4.5K| |Amex Delta Gold - 3.5K| |Citi Goodyear - 2.5K| |CapOne Kohls - 1.5K| |GAP - 1.5K| |Macy's Amex - 1K| |Ann Taylor - 0.5K| |NY&C - 0.5K|
Message 6 of 7
calihlove75
Established Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

I am in the garden because all of the cards that I have, have only been opened since August and/or September of this year. So I need some time to pass from all the inquiries and new accounts. I want the GE cards to grow so that when I go for a Chase Freedom card next year, they will give me a decent limit. All of my cards serve some sort of purpose and are ones that will grow in the next year. I got the two gas cards to get a foot in the door with citi and chase. The Old Navy, Walmart and Amazon will eventually turn into visas and discovers. The Brylane Homes....well, I just got it because it said I could have it and I fell to the dark side....lol    I have no desire to apply for anything else unless there was a chance I could get the Freedom sooner but I don't think I have enough history for that yet. All my revolving accounts are new and other than that....the only other things on my reports are an old home loan and an old car loan that will both be falling off over the next two years.

LOL, I just about fell out my chair with that one. Sounds like the reason I have Fingerhut..cus they said I could have it!!!

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.