Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi's World MasterCard NPSL

tag
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

Citi's World MasterCard NPSL

So I called Citi to ask how the NPSL worked. It turns out it is nothing like Amex. If I wanted to go over my limit, I have to call that day and they will ask how much I need to spend that day. Then they will give me whatever limit I want ONLY within the 24 hours. If I need to go over my limit the next day, I have to call again, and again, and everyday thereafter. Not very convenient.

Is it the same for Chase Visa Siganature's NPSL?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Re: Citi's World MasterCard NPSL

NPSL is a crock. There's a PSL, they just don't tell you what it is. I don't see the appeal of these cards.
Message 2 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@Stiga9 wrote:

So I called Citi to ask how the NPSL worked. It turns out it is nothing like Amex. If I wanted to go over my limit, I have to call that day and they will ask how much I need to spend that day. Then they will give me whatever limit I want ONLY within the 24 hours. If I need to go over my limit the next day, I have to call again, and again, and everyday thereafter. Not very convenient.

huh that's what they told you?

I went above my CL on my WF, Chase and Citi cards in the past, and they just approved the charges w/o me having to call in. 

My WF card is a regular visa platinum that is supposed to have a hard limit, but I suppose WF doesn't really enforce that.

You might want to call in again to verify.

Do note that the charges that are over the limit are due in full by the next due date.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 10
eddie84
Valued Contributor

^ That's what I thought as well.  Sure would hate to have to call it in everytime.  This is what was on my card agreement when I got the WMC from Citi:

"Your account does not have a pre-set spending limit. As a result, we may permit you to incur charges that cause your new balance to go over your revolving credit limit. We evaluate these charges based on your account performance, other credit accounts with us, and experience with other creditors.  Your minimum payment due will include the amount by which your new balance goes over your revolving credit limit. You must pay this amount whether it is due to purchases, cash advances, interest charges, fees, or other charges."

Message 4 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Stiga9 wrote:

I suspect it is. I've seen reports that Chase does the same on siggy cards. It looks like World and Sig cards were introduced to compete with Amex's, true NPSL cards, but don't really allow NPSL charges. Perhaps it is so rare that people exceed CLs that the systems in place are just the regular ones. Amex obviously has an internal CL but I have no idea what it is. It's at least 2x or 3x over the 25k on my WMC or 15k Chase Sig.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 5 of 10
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Stiga9 wrote:

I went above my CL on my WF, Chase and Citi cards in the past, and they just approved the charges w/o me having to call in. 

My WF card is a regular visa platinum that is supposed to have a hard limit, but I suppose WF doesn't really enforce that.

Do note that the charges that are over the limit are due in full by the next due date.

Yup, pretty much verbatim. They even had me to talk an account manager because the regular CSR couldn't answer my question. I even asked "Is it always like this, all the time?" and she said yes! She also sounded confident. Maybe it is only specific to my account? I will call again to make sure, but really, there's only one way to find out. I'm gonna go above my CL and see what happens. Will report back later...

Message 6 of 10
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

@eddie84 wrote:

^ That's what I thought as well.  Sure would hate to have to call it in everytime.  This is what was on my card agreement when I got the WMC from Citi:

"Your account does not have a pre-set spending limit. As a result, we may permit you to incur charges that cause your new balance to go over your revolving credit limit. We evaluate these charges based on your account performance, other credit accounts with us, and experience with other creditors.  Your minimum payment due will include the amount by which your new balance goes over your revolving credit limit. You must pay this amount whether it is due to purchases, cash advances, interest charges, fees, or other charges."

I'm guessing that it is account specific. "we may permit you to incur charges that cause your new balance to go over your revolving credit limit". That probably means only certain accounts qualify. I am a brand new WMC holder so maybe I won't get the true NPSL for awhile...

Message 7 of 10
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@Peter1142 wrote:
NPSL is a crock. There's a PSL, they just don't tell you what it is. I don't see the appeal of these cards.

Do you think Amex doesn't have a PSL they do.  At least with the NPSL you get to know what you have to go over.  With Amex when you go over their internal limit you go to charge something and it could get declined. 

Message 8 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@Stiga9 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@Stiga9 wrote:

Yup, pretty much verbatim. They even had me to talk an account manager because the regular CSR couldn't answer my question. I even asked "Is it always like this, all the time?" and she said yes! She also sounded confident. Maybe it is only specific to my account? I will call again to make sure, but really, there's only one way to find out. I'm gonna go above my CL and see what happens. Will report back later...

Not sure if it's just your account, or because your account is too new.

Also, are you trying to make multiple charges above your CL, or are you trying to do 1 large amount charge where that 1 charge alone can bring you past your CL even if your balances were 0? If it is the latter, you probably will need to call in, simply because of fraud prevention issues.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 10
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Stiga9 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@Stiga9 wrote:

Not sure if it's just your account, or because your account is too new.

Also, are you trying to make multiple charges above your CL, or are you trying to do 1 large amount charge where that 1 charge alone can bring you past your CL even if your balances were 0? If it is the latter, you probably will need to call in, simply because of fraud prevention issues.

I'm trying to do the former, make multiple charges well above my CL. Basically, me, my AU, and soon to be AU mother will be making all purchase and charges to the account because we need American Airline specific miles, so we'll be going probably twice the amount of the CL. I even told the CSR manager that and she said the NPSL will not help my situation because the NPSL was meant for only 24 hour periods for large purchases that day. I would need to call in each time. 

I'm very familiar with Amex's NPSL but this was my first time calling to talk about Citi's NPSL and I figured (and according to her words), it's always like this for Citi. Anyways, like I said, i'm bound to going above the CL so i'll see what happens. If it doesn't work like Amex's NPSL, no worries, i'll just do it the old fashion way - PIF every week. With mobile payments it's really no hassle.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.