Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi's history of ~$450 AF cards

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Citi's history of ~$450 AF cards

I read somewhere that Prestige is Citi's third card intended to compete with Amex Platinum. I've heard about Chairman, and I assume that was one of the previous two.

What might the other have been? Were the others unpopular and never caught on, or they were just nerfed into oblivion and abandoned by customers?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi's history of ~$450 AF cards

@wasCB14 wrote:

I read somewhere that Prestige is Citi's third card intended to compete with Amex Platinum. I've heard about Chairman, and I assume that was one of the previous two.

What might the other have been? Were the others unpopular and never caught on, or they were just nerfed into oblivion and abandoned by customers?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Why-did-Citi-discontinue-ther-former-PremierPass-airlin...

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you wan't to compete with the Amex Platinum successfully, then make sure you're coming out to play. Citi hasn't shown up.

Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

One thing about Citi is that for the Pemier, they (badly) nerfed it and then sort of made it good again (in different ways).   The Premier used to have flight miles in addition to TYP,  so each mile you flew gave you a flight mile, which would convert 1 to 1 to a TYP when you had a TYP earned.  So if you did a round trip to Europe say, you would get about 6,000 miles,  which over time rould give you 6K more TYP in addition to whatever you earned on purchasing the ticket.   

It also gave you 15% off the non-tax portion of airfare booked through their portal and a yearly free companion ticket.

Then they got rid of all that, and left a card with a $95 (or so) AF that just gave 2 or 3x TYP in some categories, so I cancelled.

But later they added the transfer of TYPs to partners, making it a reasonable card again.   I can't recall another case where a nerfed card rose from the dead like that!

Message 4 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

So did PremierPass Elite always have a $75 AF? Or the AF was higher when it had more perks?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.