Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi: when do charges post?

tag
PointLager
Established Contributor

Citi: when do charges post?

Hi fellow Citi cardholders.

I prefer to close most of my cards with zero balance showing.   If i make a charge on the day of my statement closing what are the odds of the charge posting and printing on the statement?

thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi: when do charges post?

If on the same day as your statement closes then I would say slim to none. In the unlikely event that it posts ..no big deal as Fico has no memory Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@lg8302ch wrote:

If on the same day as your statement closes then I would say slim to none. In the unlikely event that it posts ..no big deal as Fico has no memory Smiley Happy

Right.  Plus, it really depends on the merchant as well. 

Message 3 of 10
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Right.  Plus, it really depends on the merchant as well. 

True true! I find online merchants take a bit longer since they often don't charge the card until the order ships which might be 1-?? days later. One online site I used to buy from used to take weeks to charge the card. But I wouldn't worry about it too much, as lg8302ch said, Fico utilization has no memory. Smiley Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PointLager wrote:

I prefer to close most of my cards with zero balance showing.   If i make a charge on the day of my statement closing what are the odds of the charge posting and printing on the statement?

thanks

Usually if you make a purchase on the day your statement , it will most likely appear on your next statement.  However, if you want to be absolutely sure it doesn't  hit, the wait till your statement generates.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PointLager wrote:

thanks

For me it would be 100% showing up.  I have found with my Citi card I have to wait 4 days beyond due date before using the card (if I'm so dead set on the zero balance showing on the reports).  I have found similar with my cards with Chase.

Message 6 of 10
PointLager
Established Contributor

I'm abroad and so far it's taken two days for charges to post. But I don't care to use any other cards like chase or Amex since mastercard fx is so much better. I think the first statement will also include my prestige AF so I may need to prepay if I'm to ensure the statement prints a zero balance.
Message 7 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

As indicated above it's unlikely but possible with any creditor -- not just Citi.  It's also no big deal if a balance reports.  You can address it next cycle.  Are you applying for credit immediately anyway?

Message 8 of 10
PointLager
Established Contributor

I've got three new cards about to report ($44k of combined limit) plus about $37k of CLI I scored on existing cards). So I'm hoping to minimize damage of new TLs being added. My EX FICO already bounced back to above what it was when I did my most recent triple spree.
Message 9 of 10
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

If I charge a gas purchase or used the card to pay for a restaurant, it doesn't show up on the charges until 2 days later :-)

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.