Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi - why can I not pay in full?

tag
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Citi - why can I not pay in full?

I am trying to pay off the balance of my Citi card.  I have the option to pay the minimum, the statement ending balance, or an other amount.  However, when I enter the full amount in the other field it says I can only pay the statement ending amount.  Talk about BS.  I currently have 0% interest, but if I hadn't I am essentially forced to pay interest due to this.  Is there any way around it?

I've been trying snce July 7th to make a payment.  I just figured not everything posted but it has.  My first month in probably 12 years that I haven't been able to pay in full on a credit card before the statement cuts =\

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi - why can I not pay in full?

A lot of card companies do this.  Normally (except with predatory reditOne) you won't be charged interest on the current charges if you paid the statement to zero.

The way around this if you want to use the card but then have a zero balance statement cut, you need to use a billpay service to make the payment.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Alcibiades
Contributor

1) Try paying over the phone to circumvent the online system

2) Set up online bill pay from a checking account; designate your credit card account as a payee and pay whatever amount you want

Message 3 of 11
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Ah, okay, so essentially just push the payment from my checking account, rather than pull from it?

Message 4 of 11
GregB
Valued Contributor

I have two Citi accounts and I have paid the entire amount in order to report $0. I do see that the last time I did this I paid the statment balance on the due date and then paid the new charges 3 days later on the statment date. I pay eachl CC through their own online system.

Message 5 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Corvidae wrote:

Ah, okay, so essentially just push the payment from my checking account, rather than pull from it?

Yes that's what I do on occasion. You can pay whatever amount you want doing this.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 11
amp0804
Regular Contributor

Is this a new citi card?
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suspect that this is your first statement on a new card.  I pay more than my statement balance on my Citi card frequently.  If this is a new account, you should be able to do what you're trying to do next month.

Message 8 of 11
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Yes, it's a new card and first statement.

Message 9 of 11
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Yep. Same thing happened to me when I first opened the Citi card. After having the card a few months I could pay off the balance anytime. The great thing about Citi is they credit the payment immediately. Even so I usually let the autopay do its thing unless I'm planning on applying for credit and want the utilization low.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.