Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi - why so angry?

tag
mistabgeez
New Contributor

Re: Citi - why so angry?

@Duncanrr wrote:

In reading the various posts here about Citi Im sensing a lot of hostility towards them.  Why are the people on this board so angry with Citi? Is it customer service, problems with their products or are people just upset about not being approved by them.

If its the lack of approval, are the denials based on real reason or do they seem to be all over the place?  I want to add a Citi card to my profile but wanted to know why the dislike for them.  Right now I'm thinking about the Citi Forward card but open for suggestions.

I was thinking the same thing. Citi Forward has just come on my radar as my most likely next app choice, but there have been mixed reviews so I do have pause. Now with them switching CEO's I'm going to monitor how this plays out.

AMEX BCE $15,500 Citi Double Cash $8,700 USAA $6,000
Chase Freedom $2,500 Discover It $10,600
M & T Visa $2,500 CU Visa $10,000, BOAmericard $7,500
Message 11 of 30
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

How many inqs do you have in the past six months? two years?

Not exactly sure, I'm too cheap to buy a credit report. I also can't remember what order I put them during my app spree. Maybe 5 INQ's in last 6 months? Maybe 10 last 2 years? Not really sure. Credit score between 670-720.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 12 of 30
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

While I do not have any Citi products...

it's the combination of their responsibility in the financial crisis, poor customer service (I've called many a time to find out credit requirements before I take the bullet - MOSTLY ALL FOREIGN REPS), and silly denial reasons.

I feel my reasons are thoroughly justified.... I'll prob app for Diamond in 6 mos to a year though... LOL...

I have seen many people have decade long relationships with them thouh and have really high limits and super low rates...

so they do have a fan base.

OH

and the one time I was denied with a 670+ FICO... I tried to recon, and the rep was SO RUDE.... just beyond belief rude!!! Poor CSR.... it's weird cause I used to have a Shell and PIF and they didn't even take that into account when they denied me earlier this year. Oh well, Amex, Barclay's, Chase, and Discover all like me as a loyal customer :-)

I do not know of any company that will actually tell you what they require for you to be approved for a card.

I like them. Everytime I have contacted them, I have always gotten nice people and the problem was resolved quickly. Their rewards cards are rubbish in my opinion, as are the Thank You Points. To each their own though.

Message 13 of 30
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Actually it's illegal for them to tell you what's required/needed to get a particular card. That's why they don't do it.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 30
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

I have gotten 4 Citi cards in 2012 and 3 CLI's so far this year. No problems with Citi here!

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 15 of 30
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

How many inqs do you have in the past six months? two years?

I have 8 in the past 6 months (4 from Citi) and 19 in the past 2 years. Come january, (edit) 3 will be falling off.

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 16 of 30
Link2k
Valued Member

IME the CSR's for the Citi Forward have been more helpful and more knowledgable than those for Zync when it comes to CSRs its always YMMV. Then again customer service is always variable and most of my experience with US based customer service has been terrible.

I've even had bad customer service from the executive department of companies before. It was only one person and they were much nicer the next day when they called back but mood and emotion are hard things to control. Generally peoples own moods can determine what kind of customer service they think they get. I worked in a call center and one of my co workers who had a slight accent (not even Indian) would get people whining about terrible service and how she didn't understand because she wasn't in the U.S. 

Message 17 of 30
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I have two cards through them, only good experiences. In fact my highest CL on a card is with Citi.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with Citi has been positive. They are good with CLIs (soft pull), automatically lower my APR every once in awhile even though I don't carry a balance, and have a clean, intuitive website to use. The couple times I called in for something I did get foreign reps but they were very friendly and responsive to my requests. I would actually rate Citi above my experience with Amex.

Message 19 of 30
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
Actually it's illegal for them to tell you what's required/needed to get a particular card. That's why they don't do it.

It is not illegal for them to give you some hints at what might be helpful. IE hold a particular card for a particular length of time, wait for INQ's to drop off ect.

Of course they won't flat out tell you what is needed for a particular card, it varies from person to person. Somebody with a 670 FICO may get the card while somebody with a 730 may get declined, but they can tell you what you should do to improve your current situation.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.