Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CitiForward asked to do HP for CLI!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CitiForward asked to do HP for CLI!!

So I've gotten CLI with soft pulls online twice since getting the card in April 2013, but today I was trying to do the same and got a online message actually saying they can do a HP and get back to me.

Isn't this weird? It has never happened with Citi!!

I said no to the hard pull and will just wait for some reponses on here.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: CitiForward asked to do HP for CLI!!

Ewwwwww no I've never done a HP CLI with Citi unless I was moving limits. That's weird
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So I've gotten CLI with soft pulls online twice since getting the card in April 2013, but today I was trying to do the same and got a online message actually saying they can do a HP and get back to me.

Isn't this weird? It has never happened with Citi!!

I said no to the hard pull and will just wait for some reponses on here.

If your overall profile (based on any recent SPs) and/or your account currently does not qualify for SP CLI, then the HP option would display.  This is nothing weird with Citi.  There's been other threads that have cited similar results for other folks.  Your best option, if you want to avoid the HP, is to keep trying until the SP eligibility becomes available.

Message 3 of 9
yfan
Valued Contributor

Indeed, Citi usually does SP CLIs. But every lender reaches a point at which they are not willing to extend you additional credit without dinging your credit. What's your current limit on your Forward card, OP? It could also be that since they have already discontinued new applications for the Forward, the next step is to slowly push out existing holders to change out. But then, one could say Citi could simply PC you to a different card. Maybe, but maybe they don't want to take the flack for a systemwide elimination of Forward cards from people who really really like their cards.

Message 4 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

all of my citi cards have the HP message and have for a while. no clue why. my forward is years old, I've only ever gotten one CLI on it (which was a sp)
Message 5 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:
all of my citi cards have the HP message and have for a while. no clue why. my forward is years old, I've only ever gotten one CLI on it (which was a sp)

How long have you had DoubleCash?   I can see maybe your Prestige card since it's more recent?  All of mine come up as SP, except for Prestige (since I just got that in April).

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, any creditor can make a hard inquiry a condition of getting an increase.
Message 7 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

How long have you had DoubleCash?   I can see maybe your Prestige card since it's more recent?  All of mine come up as SP, except for Prestige (since I just got that in April).

13 months 

Message 8 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@yfan wrote:

Indeed, Citi usually does SP CLIs. But every lender reaches a point at which they are not willing to extend you additional credit without dinging your credit. What's your current limit on your Forward card, OP? It could also be that since they have already discontinued new applications for the Forward, the next step is to slowly push out existing holders to change out. But then, one could say Citi could simply PC you to a different card. Maybe, but maybe they don't want to take the flack for a systemwide elimination of Forward cards from people who really really like their cards.

I have four Citi cards and quite often 3 will display the SP message and 1 the HP (in fact one turned SP for the first time in 2 years recently) so I don't think it is to do with total exposure, more some per card rules.   I have had no problem get SP CLI on Forward, so I don't think that is being targetted either.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.