Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank - Application - Heads Up

tag
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

Re: Citibank - Application - Heads Up

Well, I can understand thier reasoning, after the second call that is..

I'm surprised that the two new accounts didn't report CL when they started reporting.

..I wish my Chase and AmEx would start reporting so I could see how it affects my score.

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 21 of 30
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

IMHO....... Citi rhymes very well with something else.

We thought the 21 month 0% sounded decent through an invite (with code). 1600. Waste of an INQ and new account.

Replace the word "Citi" with the "rhymed word" and sing the below, you'll get how much you'll like Citi (again imho):

Citi, I feel Citi.. Oh so Citi and Petty and Vile...........   Smiley Wink

Or slogans:

Citi Forward..............     The only card that can put your CL in reverse.

City Simplicity..              The only thing easier, is the denial of your CLI.

Cit Platinum Select..     Yes, the New improved Capital One!

Citi Thank You..........     We only say Thank You until you apply, then we usually say.... (well, you can figure it out).

Citi Dividend.............      We will gladly pay you 5% eventually for those 4 items you bought at 20% today.

Smiley Very Happy

That's a good jingle there!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 22 of 30
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

I find this to be accurate with Citibank. They're very sensitive to inquires.

I, too, was recently declined for a personal installment loan with them due to too many inquiries. I mailed a recon letter and they didn't budge. However, I didn't stop there so I mailed a second recon letter. Haven't heard back from them yet so we'll see what happens. You have nothing to lose by trying to recon with them. Worst case senerio is they stick with their original decision.

Going forward, I'm no longer applying for credit unless I have a period of six months or better app free. This seems to be the right time frame to increase your chances of approval with most banks.

UM

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 23 of 30
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

While I understand the anger and disbelief that comes with such a decision, I'd also like to remind you guys to not take it personally.

I was declined under the exact same circumstances by Chase for their Freedom card. Reconning just made me more upset. Needless to say, I decided to reapply after 8 months and was instantly approved.I raked in the signup bonus and some nice 5% cash back and forgot all about the erstwhile denial.

Now that you (the OP) know the inquiry situation with Citi, you may decide for yourself if you want to reapply with them in the future. I'd say IF the card fits your spending habits and is useful to you, then why the heck not? Apply and enjoy the rewards.Who cares about the rest?

I know customer service with these big banks is often not as great. But hey, many people have had the same experience with BoA, Chase, US Bank, PNC, etc.

This should be a pragmatic decision: I need or do not need this rewards/cash back/low interest card (whatever it is) for my personal benefit.

I've recently been approved for a Citi Dividend, and I had two inquiries on EX (which they pulled) that were already 16 months old. Hence the instant approval. I've been adding quite a few new cards to my portfolio but I've done so by spacing the applications out to six months or so. By doing so, I know that I will increase the likelihood for approval to almost 100% (given that other factors are in line such as util., timely payments etc. ).

Citi's policy shows one thing that posters here often overlook: Building credit is a slow process that takes time.It isn't done in one or two application sprees.And, scores aren't everything. They really aren't.

Building credit is a strategic game. See it as a game. Your wasted inquiry bothers you at this point. But you've also found out about the rules that Citi has. Now that you know them (and let others on here  know, thankfully), you can play the game right the next time. That's an advantageous situation, I say.

I can subscribe to every single word!

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 24 of 30
namvet
Established Contributor

@Uncle_Money wrote:

I find this to be accurate with Citibank. They're very sensitive to inquires.

I, too, was recently declined for a personal installment loan with them due to too many inquiries. I mailed a recon letter and they didn't budge. However, I didn't stop there so I mailed a second recon letter. Haven't heard back from them yet so we'll see what happens. You have nothing to lose by trying to recon with them. Worst case senerio is they stick with their original decision.

Going forward, I'm no longer applying for credit unless I have a period of six months or better app free. This seems to be the right time frame to increase your chances of approval with most banks.

UM

+1   6 months is the key!   Been that way for many years but some have been lucky with the new inquiries.  

Message 25 of 30
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Greetings,

I wanted to give my fellow FICO'ers a head up (unless already posted in the past) that when applying for Citi cards that they would likely decline your application if you have more than ONE inquiry in the last SIX months. I spoke with a senior account manager this morning and she explained this to me as I had three inquires in December alone. She would not overturn the decision. I informed her that this information should be disclosed on the application to warn people of their chances. She replied that this has been their process. It was a total waste of a hard pull for me. Lesson learned.

Happy New Year!

Ms. Nae

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I applied for a Citi CC back in October with at least 3-5 inquiries on my CR, including a brand new mortgage. They approved me with no problem.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 26 of 30
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@SevenNEW wrote:

@wollepopolle wrote:

While I understand the anger and disbelief that comes with such a decision, I'd also like to remind you guys to not take it personally.

I was declined under the exact same circumstances by Chase for their Freedom card. Reconning just made me more upset. Needless to say, I decided to reapply after 8 months and was instantly approved.I raked in the signup bonus and some nice 5% cash back and forgot all about the erstwhile denial.

Now that you (the OP) know the inquiry situation with Citi, you may decide for yourself if you want to reapply with them in the future. I'd say IF the card fits your spending habits and is useful to you, then why the heck not? Apply and enjoy the rewards.Who cares about the rest?

I know customer service with these big banks is often not as great. But hey, many people have had the same experience with BoA, Chase, US Bank, PNC, etc.

This should be a pragmatic decision: I need or do not need this rewards/cash back/low interest card (whatever it is) for my personal benefit.

I've recently been approved for a Citi Dividend, and I had two inquiries on EX (which they pulled) that were already 16 months old. Hence the instant approval. I've been adding quite a few new cards to my portfolio but I've done so by spacing the applications out to six months or so. By doing so, I know that I will increase the likelihood for approval to almost 100% (given that other factors are in line such as util., timely payments etc. ).

Citi's policy shows one thing that posters here often overlook: Building credit is a slow process that takes time.It isn't done in one or two application sprees.And, scores aren't everything. They really aren't.

Building credit is a strategic game. See it as a game. Your wasted inquiry bothers you at this point. But you've also found out about the rules that Citi has. Now that you know them (and let others on here  know, thankfully), you can play the game right the next time. That's an advantageous situation, I say.

I can subscribe to every single word!

i think i read that on a restroom stall wallSmiley Surprised

Message 27 of 30
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I wouldn't give up on Citi... they have some really great CCs and they are easy to deal with.  Almost 4 years ago when I was rebuilding, I applied for a card with them (can't remember which one) and I was denied.  I just chalked it up to experience and figured it just wasn't time yet.  So I waited a little over a year to apply again (Citi Plat Select MC) and I was instantly approved.  Two months later I app'd and was approved for an AAdvantage Amex card with them and this year I got a Sears MC and a Home Depot card (to get stuff for my house).  I LOVE their 0% financing promotions and they love giving BT offers more than anyone.  Like other folks have said here, you just have to be a little patient and build up some history with the cards you have and Citi will more than likely approve you in the future. Smiley Wink

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 28 of 30
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

I don't care for citi.  They pulled some shady stuff shortly after I opened an account!

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about you not being approved.. I just applied to a pre approved mailing and was approved for the citithankyou preffered card... I'm not sure what cra they pulled yet but I will post when I find out. My inquiries from Tran and Equifax are 1 at most so I'm guessing they pulled from one of those. Ex I have a couple. I also think that judging someone credity worthy or not only by their inquiries is kinda ridicolous and you can lose out on some valuable customers.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.