Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank Credit Line Increases & Amex Recon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citibank Credit Line Increases & Amex Recon

Hi everyone,

I just received my student citibank credit card with a $1500 limit. How is Citi with giving credit line increases within 6 months of opening.  Also in 6 months, I want to apply for their co-branded Amex card, are they good with allowing product additions after 6 months of established history?

This is my first credit card.  I have never had any credit, except for my apartment and cable, phone bills and am in my early 30s. Went back to school last semester.  I applied for an Amex student blue and green and were denied due to insufficient credit. But, I am considering recon and I was just approved for a Chase card with $500 limit.

I am looking forward to building good relationships and keeping it 1%-9% utilization and never, ever being late. 

Any thoughts on Amex and my other above questions.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Citibank Credit Line Increases & Amex Recon

Definitely recon the Chase.

After 6 months of positive history, Citi will be more than happy to give you another card.

Citi gave me an auto-CLI on my third statement from $6000 to $7500, FWIW.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the heads up.  It is actually the Amex I am considering recon on, but am weary after reading about other's experiences.  Chase approved me over the phone for $500.00.

This is a good start.

I am planning on using the Chase card for only gasoline and PIF and the Citibank card for small purchases and PIF or carrying a balance between 1% and 9% for statement reporting.

Message 3 of 5
plasticguy
Established Contributor

Yeah it's true to a point. I am forbidden to receive any CLI from Citi, althought they issued me a Citi Pro at 15k in Sept 07 and a Diamond in Jan 08 at 8,300. Why am I forbidden?, because I filed against them in 1987, I can get two cards, but are declined for increases for that simple fact. No late payments are on my report. My scores speak for themselves. I have zer0 balances on both my Citi cards, and will not use them. Filed against Amex as well they gave me credit starting at 10k in Jan 07, now I'm at 23K, they also still have my record against me filing because when I sign on it says welcome________member since 1987. GO FIGURE!!!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
Definitely recon the Chase.

After 6 months of positive history, Citi will be more than happy to give you another card.

Citi gave me an auto-CLI on my third statement from $6000 to $7500, FWIW.

Will they really? I've had a Citi card for over 3 years now with really heavy usage and most often PIF and I've only been CLI'd from 2400 to $3560 which has been disappointing. My limits at other places have improved since then and I would really like to carry one or two more cards from Citi. Do you think it's likely they'd approve me? I have FICOS of 730+ across the board and decent HHI. I just don't know why they've been so stingy with the LUV; I also don't want to generate too many hard INQs.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.