Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank Lowering APR - FUNNY

tag
missgamecock
Contributor

Citibank Lowering APR - FUNNY

So Citibank has been a thorn in my side. They had raised our APR to the default and I couldn't figure out the reason. We paid off all of our credit cards. I had started charging to citibank purely for convenience. Balance was 809 on a $4k cl. Statement hasn't been cut yet. So I emailed them and kindly requested a lower apr than 28.99% (rediculous with 700 credit scores). They emailed me that I had to stay at the default rate for 12 mos (still no reason for the default rate nor when it would be eligible for lowering). I emailed them back and said thank you. A payment has been made as of today for the balance on the account and I will no longer use this card until the apr is lowered. Today I get an email that my account has been restored to a 10.99% interest rate on everything. Smiley Very Happy Take that Citicard. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. They only have a hold on you if you owe a balance. I love being able to pay stuff off. Why is it important that they lowered it, what if I had an emergency and needed that card (I do have other cards, but a a credit hog now).
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Re: Citibank Lowering APR - FUNNY

And there is absolutely nothing to keep them from raising the APR again next time you carry a balance. Welcome to the world of CC revolving credit and the "we can change anything we want anytime we want to" clause in your agreement.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats, you did really good...!

i wonder if asking for a cli by email would have the same success !?

Message 3 of 7
niecey89
Frequent Contributor

@missgamecock wrote:
So Citibank has been a thorn in my side. They had raised our APR to the default and I couldn't figure out the reason. We paid off all of our credit cards. I had started charging to citibank purely for convenience. Balance was 809 on a $4k cl. Statement hasn't been cut yet. So I emailed them and kindly requested a lower apr than 28.99% (rediculous with 700 credit scores). They emailed me that I had to stay at the default rate for 12 mos (still no reason for the default rate nor when it would be eligible for lowering). I emailed them back and said thank you. A payment has been made as of today for the balance on the account and I will no longer use this card until the apr is lowered. Today I get an email that my account has been restored to a 10.99% interest rate on everything. Smiley Very Happy Take that Citicard. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. They only have a hold on you if you owe a balance. I love being able to pay stuff off. Why is it important that they lowered it, what if I had an emergency and needed that card (I do have other cards, but a a credit hog now).

missgamecock, I just posted that same information earlier today about. Here is why:

NOTICE OF CHANGE IN TERMS TO YOUR CITIBANK CARD AGREEMENT FOR THE CHILDREN'S PLACE CREDIT CARD PROGRAM, RIGHT TO OPT OUT AND INFORMATION UPDATE.

THE CHANGES. We are changing your Citibank Card Agreement for The Childre's place Credit Card Program and replacing it with a new one. We have identified below some of the change to your card agreement (listing the title of the new section). For completed details regarding those changes, please review the entire section of your new card agreement.

APRs. this section and the subsections describe the APR: How all your APRs may increase to a default APR if you do not make the minimum payment when due, go over the credit lin, or make payment to us that is not honored; and the effect of APR increases. The default ANNUAL PERCENTAGE RATE is increasing to 28.99%.

So apparently it is not just the citbank store cards. I have upromise account with them at 14.99%. Good thing is that it is paid on time.
FICO Scores 7/15/2008: EQ 600, TU 546, EX 490
9/17/08 - TU 571,12/17/08 649,3/16/09 638, 6/14 642
ScoreWatch 12/17/08 EQ 646, 1/2/ 09 664, 2/2/09 684,2/12/09 673, 2/16/09 688, 2/27 674,3/3 682,4/16 685, 6/28 679
1/2/09 EX 668 2/13/09 669
AS of NOV08 I am Credit card debit free. I AM A MYFICO.COM ADDICTED Smiley Happy ~
Message 4 of 7
wmarat
Valued Contributor

If you do not mind hard pull...

@Anonymous wrote:

congrats, you did really good...!

i wonder if asking for a cli by email would have the same success !?

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 5 of 7
niecey89
Frequent Contributor

you know that next step is going to be a CLD with a high APR.
FICO Scores 7/15/2008: EQ 600, TU 546, EX 490
9/17/08 - TU 571,12/17/08 649,3/16/09 638, 6/14 642
ScoreWatch 12/17/08 EQ 646, 1/2/ 09 664, 2/2/09 684,2/12/09 673, 2/16/09 688, 2/27 674,3/3 682,4/16 685, 6/28 679
1/2/09 EX 668 2/13/09 669
AS of NOV08 I am Credit card debit free. I AM A MYFICO.COM ADDICTED Smiley Happy ~
Message 6 of 7
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Congrats missgamecock! Citi has auto lowered my APR from 14.99 to 12.99. I consider that fairly low for a rewards card (Dividend Amex).
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.