cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank Secured Card? Is it worth the hassle?

tag
georgia_girl
Established Member

Citibank Secured Card? Is it worth the hassle?

I applied for a Citibank Secured card but was denied because they couldn't verify my identity so I sent a copy of my DL and paycheck stubs to verify income and address. So now I'm under reconsideration. I don't know why this is taking so long. I have a secured BoA card and Capital One Platinum but I want this Citibank Card so I can graduate. Plus I'm an authorized user on an Amex Gold Card. I'm trying to get my credit score well into the 600s. 

Does anyone else have this problem with Citibank?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Datx
Valued Contributor

Re: Citibank Secured Card? Is it worth the hassle?

Sorry I don't have any personal experiences with Citibank myself, but from what I seen they do take some time to process a secured card application. When I was first looking at secured cards about 2 years ago, I read that some folks would mail in their secured application and Citi would cash the check and then take weeks before they make a decision on the application. Some folks even stated they didnt get their deposit back weeks after being declined. I guess the only thing I can suggest is to be patient with them.

Also you stated that you wanted a secured card that would graduate. Your secured BOA card should unsecure after a year. Mine recently unsecured between the 10th and 11th month. I hope you do get a approved for your Citi secured card, but even if you didnt, you still have a good secured card with BOA. Good luck, I hope all goes well with your Citi secured card app.

Message 2 of 13
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I know that Citi takes a while sometimes on address verification for non-graduated cards, so I'm sure that they are taking their sweet little time with your secured card app. I'd just call and follow up with them to check the current status of your application. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 3 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@frogfan12 wrote:

I know that Citi takes a while sometimes on address verification for non-graduated cards, so I'm sure that they are taking their sweet little time with your secured card app. I'd just call and follow up with them to check the current status of your application. 

And secured cards always take longer to process unfortunately; fraud check goes both ways on them.  

To the OP: There's not much experience with Citibank secured products on this forum, but they don't have a bad reputation compared to some of the other lenders.  If you've already gone through the challenging parts which is actually getting into their system and filing the additional paperwork, I think you should absolutely pursue the card.  I appreciate your posting your experience with them here, and would definitely be interested to hear how they are if / when they graduate a year / 18 months / whatever out.

        
Message 4 of 13
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Secured cards take forever to process it took me 3 weeks to get my boa after they received my deposit. I looked into Citi secured as well but then found out I was eligible to join NFCU so I went with their secured card instead
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 5 of 13
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

That's really strange. From what I know of that application, you have to print it out and send it in the mail with that information from the get-go...is it online now?

I tried applying for it in 2009 but was denied (I don't even remember why, tbh). It's since disappeared from their main website and it seems like the only way you can get to the app is through a Google search.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 6 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

They re-opened it sometime in 2011, I remember Money magazine did a piece on secured cards and theirs was listed... but as mentioned earlier, there's hardly any experience with them on the forums that I've been able to ascertain (and I asked when I was establishing tradelines a few months ago).

        
Message 7 of 13
georgia_girl
Established Member

Update: My application is still processing and undergoing a manual process. Yesterday I called Citibank because I had two missed calls from them (no one a left message) but the person I spoke with said she didn't know why they called. The entire process is confusing. The Customer Service Rep told me 7-10 more days. I don't know why it's taking so long.

Message 8 of 13
georgia_girl
Established Member

Update: My application was approved and I should receive my card in about a week. I'm pretty excited since I'll be able to keep the interest when the card graduates. Plus now I'm part of the Citibank family. I'll report back when it graduates. It was really hard to get, they denied me first and told me they could prove my identity. Then I provided proof and they still denied me because they couldn't confirm my identity. Finally I spoke with someone in the states and he sent it to a manager. It was approved five days ago. Hopefully it's easier from now on.
Message 9 of 13
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

How do you apply for secured  card?   It is no longer on their web site.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.