cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank Secured MasterCard - Anyone have or had one?

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Citibank Secured MasterCard - Anyone have or had one?

Hi All

Im wondering if anyone has or had a Citibank Secured MasterCard and if so was it converted to an unsecured card, how did it report to the CRA, and if they were able to do a product change after it was unsecured.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citibank Secured MasterCard - Anyone have or had one?

You have to apply in a branch for their secured card and open a 18 month CD it reports to all 3 CBs as Secured.

Message 2 of 8
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Yes I got one 2 months after my bk discharged in 2009, credit limit 200.00 reported as secured, unsecured after 18 months, but I did not get a CLI and I did not qualify for one until 4 years later, but went form 200.00 to 5k

It is a good card to start with.  If you paid with Citi checking and do "transfer" payments there is no deley in payment posting to credit card, it is instant, which I like.

Message 3 of 8
mossmanb5
Established Contributor

i apped and went thru alot of bs because of branch manager not faxing my forms and spelling my last name wrong and was turned down, i tried to recon and multiple times and was still told to reapply 30 days later. i asked eo to remove the hp since it was their mistake havent heard anything. hope ur experience is better then mine.

72 cards and done 312,800 in available credit
0.5% uti / 2.2 aaoa
eq 698 / ex 712 / tu 729

inqs= eq 48 / ex 35 / tu 15
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one but it has not been long enough for the card to convert to an unsecured.  The process for me was very easy but after doing the application at the branch, it took a very long time to arrive.  I would say somewhere around 4 to 6 weeks after app.  Although I did get a letter from them saying it was approved probably around the 3 week mark.  Overall, I really like the secured citi card.

Message 5 of 8
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

I've read good things about Citi Secured MC.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

@mossmanb5 wrote:

i apped and went thru alot of bs because of branch manager not faxing my forms and spelling my last name wrong and was turned down, i tried to recon and multiple times and was still told to reapply 30 days later. i asked eo to remove the hp since it was their mistake havent heard anything. hope ur experience is better then mine.

What was the reason they gave you for denial?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

Yes I got one 2 months after my bk discharged in 2009, credit limit 200.00 reported as secured, unsecured after 18 months, but I did not get a CLI and I did not qualify for one until 4 years later, but went form 200.00 to 5k

It is a good card to start with.  If you paid with Citi checking and do "transfer" payments there is no deley in payment posting to credit card, it is instant, which I like.

When they converted it to unsecured, did you get a new number and card?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.