Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank & their Rate Jacking

tag
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

Citibank & their Rate Jacking

Since I figured this is possible with any CC, I went and opened an IRA and got a $1000 Money Market with Citibank. Sure enough, I got a letter jacking my rate from 7.99 to 14.99 effective sometime in December. The rate increase, however, is still not showing up online. The rep that opened the MM and IRA keeps calling me to see if all is well etc, but I've been working and just finished finals. I plan on paying her a visit next week with the rate increase notice.

Points to mention: My balance is low, <1000; tax payers bailed out her company, the interest rate they are giving me on my IRA and MM is pretty low (will that go up by 7% too?); and I have a 726 FICO.

I figure I'm just gonna tell her that I'm pretty disappointed in her company - see what she can do about it.

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

Re: Citibank & their Rate Jacking

@Karatz wrote:

Since I figured this is possible with any CC, I went and opened an IRA and got a $1000 Money Market with Citibank. Sure enough, I got a letter jacking my rate from 7.99 to 14.99 effective sometime in December. The rate increase, however, is still not showing up online. The rep that opened the MM and IRA keeps calling me to see if all is well etc, but I've been working and just finished finals. I plan on paying her a visit next week with the rate increase notice.

Points to mention: My balance is low, <1000; tax payers bailed out her company, the interest rate they are giving me on my IRA and MM is pretty low (will that go up by 7% too?); and I have a 726 FICO.

I figure I'm just gonna tell her that I'm pretty disappointed in her company - see what she can do about it.

You'll obviously get a higher return on your money by Paying in Full instead of opening a new low interest Money Market account.  I've always paid in full, and could care less if my CC interest rates were to go up to 29%.  Don't spend money you don't have.  If you can't pay it off at the end of your next statement, then don't buy it.  Save until you can & you'll also find you'll end up buying less junk you don't really need to begin with.

By all means, do try to negotiate a lower interest rate if you can and are unable or unwilling to pay in full every month.  They're a business whose sole purpose is to maximize profit and shareholder value within the limits of the law.  Take your business elsewhere if you're not satisfied.  But if you just learn to spend responsibly by never charging items you can't pay in full until you've saved up for them, you'll see that you'll stop thinking of financial companies as adversaries.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Karatz wrote:

Sure enough, I got a letter jacking my rate from 7.99 to 14.99 effective sometime in December. The rate increase, however, is still not showing up online.

The rate increase will probably not appear until your January statement, possibly not until after the opt-out date of January 31. After January 31, if you do not opt out, and you are carrying a non-promotional balance, the interest that will be charged will include the difference between the old and new APRs, retroactive to December 3 ...

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is now the 3rd stinking CC company that has stooped to these rate jacking tactics. Rate jacking in january 09. I'm keeping count.
Message 4 of 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This is now the 3rd stinking CC company that has stooped to these rate jacking tactics. Rate jacking in january 09. I'm keeping count.

currently repricing (RJ) is included within the contractual rights of any CCC.  you can count all of them in in 09 and may see them move to act more aggressively.  pif rules.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.