Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank blacklists right?

tag
JustJen
Regular Contributor

Citibank blacklists right?

I currently have the Chase United Visa Signature card which I love! If given the chance I'll always fly united, even before when I didn't have the card. But now I live in a place where united is not the hub, American airlines has a hub here. For the most part I still choose to fly united because the cost hasn't been a huge difference, but every now and then I end up really biting it in terms of cost going with united over American Airlines. Ideally I think it would be good to have a card that I could use and still get miles in those situations where it just makes more financial sense to choose American. After doing a google search on an American airline credit card I see it's offered through Citibank. Unfortunately way back in undergrad when I wasn't very financially responsible I had a citi card that ended up being charged off. Does Citibank blacklist?

If they do, any other suggestions on a good card to have to earn miles when I fly something other than United and use my Chase card? Currently my utilization is high so my equifax score is about 674 (from my fico), and for what it's worth my experian plus score is 690. I didn't check Walmart for my TU score but its generally a heck of a lot lower than the other two....so preferably a card that doesn't pull TU. I don't need to purchase the tickets immediately but hopefully by the end of February at the latest...so if need be I can hold off on applying to get my score to recover from high utilization right now.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Citibank blacklists right?

I like my US Bank Flexperks Card.

You could apply with Citi and hope all goes well. I had a successful recon with them, so if auto declined you could go that route.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 8
JustJen
Regular Contributor

Ok I've put a little more thought into it....I don't know if I can justify having another travel card with a $95 annual fee. I don't think I would spend $3000 in 3 months without stopping spending on other cards with better rewards just to get there....so I won't get the miles bonus so I think the citi advantage card is out.

I took a look at the Escape and Miles card offered by Discover....they seem pretty similar except that with the Miles card there is a cap on the 2 miles per every dollar up to $3000 and Escape has an annual fee. My plan would still be to use Chase United primarily for travel and something else for those few instances when the cost of traveling another airline is substantially less. I'm not frequent enough a flyer (especially outside of flying united) that I would be worried about hitting $3000, and based on my current cards and what I hope to get in the future I wouldn't use this potential card for anything else.

does anyone have the Miles card from Discover?

Message 3 of 8
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Cough cough...US Bank Flexperks

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 8
Dustink
Valued Contributor

The flexperks card isn't bad. You should check it out.

I have yet to find a card with better rewards.

Message 5 of 8
JustJen
Regular Contributor

I actually did check it out! But then I ran into a posting on here when I searched US Bank that they will not accept applications outside of their service area. The person was from Texas as am I so I kinda figured I wouldn't be able to. Have you heard anything about that?

Message 6 of 8
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Us bank flex perks is available for people out their service area
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 7 of 8
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I have heard that they do not like people getting the Cash+ who are not in their service area. I think you can still apply online for the Flexperks.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.