cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank closed my account for no reason!

tag
realist

Re: Citibank closed my account for no reason!

So I just got this letter of death. Smiley Happy I don't carry a balance, and I hadn't used the citi card in 4 months (last time I traveled). So I really shouldn't be surprised. I am ticked off because I'm house hunting and that card would have held the appliances I'll need.

I read several posts where the card holder tried to get the card converted to another type, but they were directed to apply from scratch. I'm not willing to do that before I've closed on a mortgage. Is there any advantage to calling in and having the account closed immediately (at my request) vs letting citi do it (at the lender's request)?

Message Edited by realist on 01-26-2010 08:21 AM
slow and steady => 2008/630s, 2010/780s, 2012/820s
Message 21 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@realist wrote:

So I just got this letter of death.

Dang!  What reasons did they give you in your letter?

(Best wishes on your house hunting!  Hey - maybe you'll find a lovely home WITH lovely appliances.....)

Message 22 of 34
realist

Reason: Citi is discontinuing this "type" of cc.

FYI, it was originally a Macy's store card that was converted to a higher limit MasterCard. It had a regular 'high' APR. Then last spring/summer I got a notice that they were changing the terms and Citi was offering 0% for purchases over $299 for 6 months (or something like that). Then in the fall I received another notice that the promotion was being extended for a few months. In both cases it hasn't been relevant as I don't need it yet.

A lovely house with appliances. Talk about unicorns. Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

realist wrote: A lovely house with appliances. Talk about unicorns. Smiley Happy

Smiley Very Happy  Very appropriate coming from a realist! 

Message 24 of 34
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

In response to a number of posters who pointed out the "too many...", it depends.......

Many of us went on app sprees last year and added 10+ accounts to our profiles and have not experienced account closures like this.  In fact, Citi just increased my credit limit again last night.  I have about 15 open lines, 22 accounts showing on my accounts list (open/closed), and my scores are a couple of months from 800 territory.  Some play tight-to-the-vest with the good credit guidelines, others no-so-much.

If you are done with Citi, I would recommend replacing them with another card/line to make up for the lost credit line to help your util and flexibility.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 34
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

That's exactly why  I do business with credit unions and USAA. They are trying to do everything they can before the new credit card rules take place in Feb. I've decided I'm not going to do business with any of those banks that took bailout money. My NFCU visa works just as good if not better than that citi branded visa. You see noone cares which card you swipe with its how they treat you as a customer and I place a higher value on how they treat their customers than which brand of visa I carry. I just laugh when people talk about those rewards they get I don't care about those rewards they just make me have to claim more to the IRS. Any reward over 25 and you gotta report it.

Message Edited by armywifey85 on 01-26-2010 10:48 AM
Message 26 of 34
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

realist wrote:

...Is there any advantage to calling in and having the account closed immediately (at my request) vs letting citi do it (at the lender's request)?

It doesn't affect your FICO scores. And in this day and age, I honestly don't think that future lenders will blink at a "closed by grantor" notation on an account with clean history and $0 balance. I have one like this, and no one has ever questioned it. If they do, you can just say that they discontinued the card.

You can always call in and request. Some banks comply, some don't.

There has been such carnage in CC land, much having little or nothing to do with the consumer, that I'd say that a lot of the people reviewing your reports have at least one of these themselves.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 27 of 34
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

armywifey85 wrote:

... I don't care about those rewards they just make me have to claim more to the IRS. Any reward over 25 and you gotta report it.
No, you don't.

Not yet, anyway.

edit: dang html...
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 01-26-2010 11:12 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 28 of 34
realist

Interesting FocusOnFICO. I have a friend with 2 Citi cards 20+ year history. Never has the issues I do.

Me, I haven't applied for credit in more than two years. My scores are in the 780s. I am concerned about the hit to my util even though I'll still have 3  other major card choices (and a couple store cards). I will to apply for a new card once the mortgage process is done preferably with cash back.

Message 29 of 34
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Realist--a valid concern.  If you do the pay-ahead-of-the-statement strategy for all but one card, you should be fine.  Getting a cash-back card after your mortgage is finished sounds excellent.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.