tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citibank or Chase ?

Citi still let you CLI via Soft Pull
I got mine increased from 20k to 22k 2month ago
I have never used HP to increase CL on my citi card
maybe different rules apply for newer customers
I started off with Diamond Prefered and and PCed to Forward and happily stuck with Forward

Message 21 of 39
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You're right, in that Citi allows SP CLI way more often than Chase!

Message 22 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you already have any Barclay cards? Since your TU is higher you could potentially get a Barclay card with a decent starting CL if your income is high enough. If you travel you could possibly get the Barclay US Airways card, get 50K miles and just use their standard 0% for 12 months BT offer. That way you don't end up with some useless BT specific card like a Chase Slate and you would still get a very nice sign-up bonus. Just another route to consider. I am shooting from the hip here since I don't know what your 5-6 cards in addition to your AMEX are.

AFAIK income is the number one determining factor in high starting CLs with credit score linking more directly to APR. 

Agreed agreed agreed. Great lineup of cards including the Sallie Mae as well. And since you're looking to transfer, you can give the Barclaycard Ring a shot for the fixed 8% APR. 

Message 23 of 39
Luscher
Valued Contributor

CHASE!!!!
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 24 of 39
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Go with Chase. They are 1000x better about recon and much better customer service by far. Citi is much more computer based and their customer service largely sucks and is pretty bad by prime lender standards.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 25 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

Go with Chase. They are 1000x better about recon and much better customer service by far. Citi is much more computer based and their customer service largely sucks and is pretty bad by prime lender standards.

I'd say their CS is better than AMEX at this point.

No, really.

Message 26 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

No, really.

That is a bold statement! Let the backlash ensue.

Message 27 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

No, really.

That is a bold statement! Let the backlash ensue.

At least their mid-high end CS is.

I get better service from the CSP line than I do from the PRG line. And the JPM line is top notch!

Message 28 of 39
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

No, really.

I've never encountered an Amex rep that I couldn't understand. With Citi, I have encountered several people who just were complete numbskulls and I could barely understand. Maybe it all just depends. 

I will say that AskCiti is considerably better than phone reps which I'm talking about.

Edit: Oops. thought you were seriously talking about Citi. My bad. In that case, I kind of agree. Chase is amazing most of the time with their service, higher end stuff at least. Amex I admit isn't as good in that respect.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 29 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Man, you spelled numbskulls wrong, the irony! 

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.