Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank phasing out Diamond Preferred

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citibank phasing out Diamond Preferred

Looks like they removed THANK YOU from the card even though it earns the points and lowered the AF to 400. Maybe they wanted to differentiate it from the TY brand.
Message 11 of 17
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@jake619 wrote:
Looks like they removed THANK YOU from the card even though it earns the points and lowered the AF to 400. Maybe they wanted to differentiate it from the TY brand.

Yup this is what they exactly did. Gotta say its still a nice looking card

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 12 of 17
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Hope so.... Aren't those TY points similar to SkyPesos(Amex Delta)?
Personally, cash is king when it comes to rewards. Point systems are easily manipulated to reflect a creditor's financial position, which I do not want to be a victim of haha!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 17
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@jake619 wrote:
Your buddy would probably know more than anybody here if he knows about the Diamond's fate.

Yeah, but unfortunately, his information came in a text message prior to going out of the country. I figured I was big boy enough to do my own research.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 14 of 17
kekrre
Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Hope so.... Aren't those TY points similar to SkyPesos(Amex Delta)?
Personally, cash is king when it comes to rewards. Point systems are easily manipulated to reflect a creditor's financial position, which I do not want to be a victim of haha!

...no

SkyMiles aren't as valuable as many other airlines' miles because Delta doesn't offer as many 25000 mile rewards. So you could earn 25000 United miles and go somewhere, or earn 25000 SkyMiles and sit somewhere.

TY points are an issue because they change depending on what card you have. If you have a Forward, they might only be worth $0.00625, but [if you have a TY Preferred, they should be worth $0.01, even if you have a Forward]. If you have a TY Premier or a Prestige, they will be worth [$0.01 cash back,] $0.0133 on Citi's travel website.

[Edit: Grey bits redacted, red bits edited. I guess I was wrong - I could have sworn I read somewhere that Preferred and higher got a higher redemption tier, but I guess not.]

|||||||
Message 15 of 17
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

The only way to get one cent per point (cash) with Thank You Points is to redeem for a "mortgage payment" or "student loan". Statement credits and asking for a cheque result in one half cent per point.

I wouldn't be suprised if they got rid of the Diamond Preferred, thouh. In my opinion it's hideous and there is no real benefit to getting it. They could do away with the Simplicity aswell.

Message 16 of 17
fedxboy
Established Contributor

I have the Citi Diamond Preferred MC and I'm enjoying my 18 month 0% Apr on purchases and BT's.  It says I have Thank You points.   Anyways, I haven't heard a thing about the card being phased out.   In any event, a new Citi card with benefits, I'd be happy to take!

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.