cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank transfer fee negotiation?

tag
sweetbee

Citibank transfer fee negotiation?

I got approved for a 0% apr citi simplicity card. I want to transfer a $2000 balance from Discover to Citibank. Many of their representatives do not give me accurate info in how long this will take for a new customer. I was told it could be done right away but now I am told it takes 2 weeks and a few days because I am a new customer. There is a 3% balance transfer fee. Has anyone negotiated this fee down and if so what number did you contact? and how long did it take for the transfer if you were a new customer? Any help is appreciated!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Citibank transfer fee negotiation?

There is no negotiation down of the fee. You'll have to speak to a CSR for BTs for new customers. They quote 7-10 business days but it can be done as quick as 72 business hours.
Message 2 of 9
zyzzus
Established Contributor

Would have to agree. The fee is clearly listed in the t&c...
They are running a business after all...

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 3 of 9
sweetbee

Is it the same amount of time for a new customer? They told me because I am new the BT will take 2 weeks to process and a few days to complete the transfer. My statement closes at the end of the month and I would have really liked to have it paid off by then. I thought I read on here or elsewhere that balance transfer fees could be negotiated but maybe that was for long time customers.

Message 4 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

They may want you to wait 14 days as a brand new customer before commencing a BT. If they told you two weeks, to process that's in line with the 7-10 business days I mentioned earlier.

YMMV
Message 5 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@sweetbee wrote:

Is it the same amount of time for a new customer? They told me because I am new the BT will take 2 weeks to process and a few days to complete the transfer. My statement closes at the end of the month and I would have really liked to have it paid off by then. I thought I read on here or elsewhere that balance transfer fees could be negotiated but maybe that was for long time customers.

Like lexie said, if they told you to wait, then you most likely will have to.

Sometimes the BT does get processed faster, but there's also a possibility that it will take longer than 2 weeks to process. It can go both ways.

They most likely will not negotiate on any BT fees waiver. If you are an existing customer with a high internal score, you could try asking them if they have a 0% 0 fee BT offer for you and what not, but even then it's pretty unlikely. I've seen people request for lower APR or an extended 0% APR offer, but even then there's no guarantee it will happen. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

They always will tell you 2 weeks because it depends who you are paying but "these" days almost all banks take electronic payments so most likely it will transfer in just a few days and then a day or so for the bank you are paying to post it... Navy Federal told most like 21 days but then it was about 3-4 days after actually done.

They want you to continue to make payments because if for some reason any delays and you don't make payments they don't want to be paying those fees for you so they givee you long window!

and no you won't get any negotiation on that fee!

Message 7 of 9
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

Getting the fee waived depends on the demeanor in which you approach the conversation....
Message 8 of 9
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

citi informed me it takes up to 14 business days, but i requested a check and cancelled the bt. depostied desired amount in my account in 3 days total and paid off cards. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.