Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank

tag
nmorton79
Regular Contributor

Citibank

I used to have a citibank platinum select mastercard.  It charged off back in 2003.  I had paid the balance from $2250 down to $800 (after charge off) in 2005 and then I moved and was out of work for more than a year and was unable to pay.  The balance is now $885 and I have made arrangements to pay the remaining balance in monthly installments. Citi never came after me with a CA, and my account never left their internal CA department.  I took it upon myself to call and set up the payment arrangement because I'm tired of owing it.  My question is has anyone had their citi account re opened after charge off, or were they ever able to get another citicard?  If so how did you go about getting in done?  Thanx in advance for the replies and advice. 

Live~Laugh~Love

Starting Score: EQ 401, TU430
Current Score: EQ 501, TU 500
Goal Score: 700+ across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Live~Laugh~Love
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Citibank

You most likely will be able to get another Citi CC. Many others have been able to - including me. I can't tell you how long you would have to wait. It is possible you might have to wait until the TL is off your CBR's.
Message 2 of 15
nmorton79
Regular Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
You most likely will be able to get another Citi CC. Many others have been able to - including me. I can't tell you how long you would have to wait. It is possible you might have to wait until the TL is off your CBR's.

Thanks for your reply.  This card has not reported at all since 2005. How long did you have to wait before you got another card, and what were your scores and starting CL (if you don't mind me asking)?
Live~Laugh~Love

Starting Score: EQ 401, TU430
Current Score: EQ 501, TU 500
Goal Score: 700+ across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Live~Laugh~Love
Message 3 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The original account was a CO. (An original Choice Visa.)

It was off my CBR's.

I received two mailed pre-app offers from Citi NOV08: Diamond Preferred and I think it was Cash Returns. I went for the one with the lower APR. EX FICO about 720 at the time. Approved for $4.8K now $8.4K. I was given the Tier 2 rate/promo at approval. I called and complained and was immediately moved to the Tier 1 APR and have stayed there ever since. (Currently 6.99%.) I have a < $800 BT at 0% on the card at present.

Message 4 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

I had two accounts with Citi that was charged off in 2004.  I paid them in full that same year.  I think the accounts were sent to outside collections agencies.  But the collection accounts never appeared on my credit reports.   Fast forward May 2009, I got both accounts deleted.  In July, I received a new Citi Platinum Select Card with $4000 initial limit and 0% interest for 9 months on purchases and BT's.  In September, I received the Sears Citi card with initial limit of $3600. 

So, if you pay Citi in full, they will do business with you again.   But you won't be able to keep the same account.  

Message 5 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

They will do business with you again even if you do not pay them...
Message 6 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

That would be immoral to not pay them. 

Message 7 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

Don't make me laugh. Seriously.

Message 8 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

@DI wrote:

Don't make me laugh. Seriously.

The OP says they're tired of owing it.  I don't think the OP want it on their conscious any longer.

Message 9 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

That's not the point, DI. Many people read these threads and the fact of the matter is that Citi will do business with you again, eventually, whether the account has been paid or not. In fact, once the account has been CO and sold to a CA/JDB you can't pay the OC anyway! We need to stick to the facts here and stay clear of the moralistic comments. Doesn't DR have a forum for that sort of thing? Or, better yet, go try preaching at CB and see what kind of responses you get!
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.