Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citicard Merchant Database Compromise

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Citicard Merchant Database Compromise

I just got a new card from Citi with a notice that my old account number may have been part of a merchant database compromise and therefore was being replaced with a new account number.  When I asked them which merchant the Citi CSR said she did not have access to that information.

I've always checked my recent transactions on all my credit card company websites fairly frequently, but now I am gonna be checking especially carefully you can be sure!  I have never had one of my accounts hit by fraudulent transactions, but my wife once had her checking account hit and sorting it out was rather tedious.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Citicard Merchant Database Compromise

I have checked all my accounts without finding any suspicious activity thus far.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've received this kind of notice twice in the past 2 years from my bank concerning my debit card. Once it was because I had used it at a grocery store where there had been some kind of comprimising activity. While my account was hit with one fraudulent, very small charge (a test, or leader charge), I was happy to know that the bank was "on their toes" and stopped.this quickly before it became messy.
Message 3 of 5
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've received this kind of notice twice in the past 2 years from my bank concerning my debit card. Once it was because I had used it at a grocery store where there had been some kind of comprimising activity. While my account was hit with one fraudulent, very small charge (a test, or leader charge), I was happy to know that the bank was "on their toes" and stopped.this quickly before it became messy.

Yep, better for them to catch it before things get messy!

Message 4 of 5
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just went through this myself. Thankfully I caught this within hours of the leader charge and actual charge and took all the fun steps to get this corrected/investigated. What a huge PITA. Thankfully I'm obsessive about checking all my accounts daily.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.