cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citicard -- Product Change success stories?

tag
brokenpipe
Established Member

Citicard -- Product Change success stories?

I have a Citibank Platinum Select MC right now with a $5,000 limit (raised in March 2012 from 500 to 5000). Been using it off and on, mostly for tuition & school supplies and then pay it off during the quarter (I end up paying a tad bit, maybe $5-$8 interest, this is acceptable versus student loans).

I was wondering if anyone has successfully changed their Platinum Select MC to another product with Citi without a Hard Pull. Trying to avoid the inquiry hit here. 

763 Experian / 770 Equifax / 790 TU

AMEX Blue (AU) - 25K | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 23K | AMEX TrueEarnings - 22.5K | BoA Alaska Air Sig Visa - 20K | Chase Slate - 9K | Barclaycard Ring - 6.3K | Citi Thank You Premier - 5K | Discover IT - 5K | Amazon Visa Rewards - 4K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Citicard -- Product Change success stories?

@brokenpipe wrote:

I have a Citibank Platinum Select MC right now with a $5,000 limit (raised in March 2012 from 500 to 5000). Been using it off and on, mostly for tuition & school supplies and then pay it off during the quarter (I end up paying a tad bit, maybe $5-$8 interest, this is acceptable versus student loans).

I was wondering if anyone has successfully changed their Platinum Select MC to another product with Citi without a Hard Pull. Trying to avoid the inquiry hit here. 

Citi hard pulled me when they unsecured but a year later I PCed to an AA exec card and they didn't hard pull or even ask the usual income/status questions. The unsecured Citi card was a lower level than the Plat select. It had the same af and interest rates as the secured card. Citi's csr refered to it as a "Silver card."

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 2 of 10
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

I was successfull. I product changed from Citi Platinum Select World Mastercard to Citi Thank You Preferred World Mastercard. Just call the number on the back of your card and politely ask. No hard pull, APR stayed the same, card came in a week, conversion became "official" after a month or so. Good luck.

Message 3 of 10
brokenpipe
Established Member

That's good to know. 

Yeah its an unsecured (always has been) card. I got it in 2007, and its my longest credit card. Citi was the only prime lender that extended credit during my "bad" years (sub 600 scores). While it was only $500, I've treated that thing with the utmost respect. But it is a card that has really no rewards / benefits, so I'm trying to see if I could do something else with it. 

I'm eyeing the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa Card. Really the cash rewards version of the card I have. 

AMEX Blue (AU) - 25K | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 23K | AMEX TrueEarnings - 22.5K | BoA Alaska Air Sig Visa - 20K | Chase Slate - 9K | Barclaycard Ring - 6.3K | Citi Thank You Premier - 5K | Discover IT - 5K | Amazon Visa Rewards - 4K
Message 4 of 10
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I recently PC my Citi AAdvantage Amex to the Hilton HHonors Reserve. Took one call of about 5 minutes and I had my new card in about 10 days with the same CL and APR. Very easy and painless, no HP.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 5 of 10
RSCo
Established Contributor

Wow.... You guys are awesome..

I've been a citi platinum select customer for 13yrs and had no idea that you could change products.... 

I just called the 800# on the back of my card and requested a change over to their Citi Thank You Premier card.. I told her that I didn't want to impact my credit by having a hard pull and she said not to worry there was no impact to my credit report..  So she switched me over without any problems.. 25,000 bonus thank you points after spending 2k within 3 months.. And you get a free companion airline ticket EVERY year that you have the card.. .WOW..  Thanks for the great advice.. 

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 6 of 10
brokenpipe
Established Member

@RSCo wrote:

I've been a citi platinum select customer for 13yrs and had no idea that you could change products.... 

I just called the 800# on the back of my card and requested a change over to their Citi Thank You Premier card.. I told her that I didn't want to impact my credit by having a hard pull and she said not to worry there was no impact to my credit report..  So she switched me over without any problems.. 25,000 bonus thank you points after spending 2k within 3 months.. And you get a free companion airline ticket EVERY year that you have the card.. .WOW..  Thanks for the great advice.. 

And your story inspired me to pick up the phone and do the same. Also was converted over to the Citi Thank You Premier card. 

What an awesome turn of events. 

Message 7 of 10
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

Congratulations. Do you still get the first year fee free?

Message 8 of 10
brokenpipe
Established Member

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

Congratulations. Do you still get the first year fee free?

Yup. First AF is 04/20/2014. 

Message 9 of 10
RSCo
Established Contributor

@brokenpipe wrote:

@RSCo wrote:

And your story inspired me to pick up the phone and do the same. Also was converted over to the Citi Thank You Premier card. 

What an awesome turn of events. 

Awesome!!!  Congrats to you!!

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.