Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Claims Departments: A Cautionary Tale

tag
JackBeNimble1
Contributor

Claims Departments: A Cautionary Tale

Has anyone had issues with credit card companies whiffing on their responsibility to properly process claims of fraud? My wallet and phone were stolen on a trip a little more than two months ago and the bandit(s) rang up more than $8K across four credit cards (two Amex, one Barclays and one Capital One) and one Chase debit card. They also tried to spend thousands more but were denied. The crime spree happened during a 10-hour period overnight. Part of the irony is it took so long for me to get my claims filed with each bank that the bad guy(s) were charging more fraud on my cards while I was on the phone with each bank trying to shut down my cards. 

But here's where it gets interesting: Amex was the only one of the four banks to thoroughly investigate what happened. I learned a lot from talking to the Amex claims investigators, including how the perpetrator(s) went online and used the Amex chat service to set up a PIN. Amex credited the money back to me, quickly processed the claim and ruled in my favor. Their customer service was excellent. The other banks did not do the same amount of investigating. Chase is by far the worst. The bad guy(s) withdrew cash from a Chase ATM and even though I provided the exact time and location of the transactions to the Chase claims department, they refuse to look at their own video surveillance. The video surveillance is managed by JPM Chase's security department, which is separate from the claims department. I spoke to numerous reps and supervisors in both departments and they admitted they don't communicate with one another. I have had to have the police subpoena Chase in an attempt to get the video. Chase also refuses to call the police detective working the case. The detective is about to make an arrest by the way. Chase immediately credited the stolen funds to my account but after spending about a month "investigating," Chase denied my claim and without any notice, withdrew the stolen funds back out of my account. This caused me to overdraft my account. They later fixed this. Chase has reopened the case but still hasn't come to a final conclusion 70 days after the incident. I continue to beg them to review the video surveillance and to see if any other suspicious activity occurred on my account. They claimed there was no other suspicious activity but I eventually found emails from Chase in my Secure Messaging Center (which I never check) that showed there were attempted wire transfers through Chase's QuickPay feature (which I've never used) to the name of the suspect the police are getting ready to arrest. Really, Chase's claims department could not be more incompetent. They say that since it was a chip-on-chip transaction at a Chase ATM and that the PIN was successfully entered, that no more investigation is needed. Ha! 

Barclays wasn't much better. They sent me notices saying they were trying to contact me about the case. I would call after each notice and Barclays would tell me they had everything they needed and there was no need for my call. Then a couple of weeks ago, a Barclays investigator phoned me, took up about an hour of my time, and literally lied to me about a number of aspects of my case. What she said didn't make sense so I called back the next day and spoke to a supervisor who fortunately reviewed the phone conversation with the lying Barclays representative and had her reprimanded. The supervisor also contacted the police detective and quickly closed the claim. 

Capital One is still working on it, 70 days later, but at least they haven't been a pain like Chase and, to a lesser degree, Barclays. Luckily, there is so much evidence — including video footage from retailers — that I know I'll prevail in the end but my dealings with Chase and Barclays have been a nightmare. They re-victimize the victim. I'd be interested to learn whether other people have had other experiences like this and to warn everyone of this cautionary tale. Even if the banks say they will cover fraud and talk a good game at first, be sure to take careful notes and prepare for there to be some extreme stupidity excercised by some of the banking reps/supervisors involved. 

Amex Gold, Amex Bonvoy, Amex Hilton Honors Surpass, Amex Every Day, Amex Hilton Biz, Amex Delta Biz, Barclays Arrival+, Barclays Rewards, Capital One VentureOne, Capital One Quicksilver, Chase Freedom, Chase IHG Rewards, Chase United Explorer, Chase Sapphire
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Claims Departments: A Cautionary Tale

Two out of the three fraud experiences I've had on my cards have been on my Chase cards (both of those were on my CSP before I upgraded it to a CSR). Chase took care of the fraudulent charges right away with no issues. The second time they told me that the person who tried using my card number hadn't entered the right address, security code, etc. and that she had no idea how the charge was approved. In my (limited) experience, it seems like Chase has just budgeted for a certain amount of fraud and doesn't take the care it otherwise would. Then again, maybe it was just a fluke for me.
Message 2 of 18
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like a nightmare, JackBeNimble. I hope things go more smoothly for you. AmEx clearly cares about their brand more than others...

EDIT: Misread the first paragraph. I would find another personal bank if I were in your shoes once this is resolved; no point in having a bank that doesn't have your back in a cut-and-dry case. Another route would be to complain through the CFPB, or perhaps the BBB, if it isn't resolved to your liking. 

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 3 of 18
JackBeNimble1
Contributor

I do bank with Chase and have two of their cards but I'm not rich enough for them to care if I close my account. And the manager at my local Chase branch has been great. He escalated my case - along with my very sharply written account of my dealings with both the claims and security divisions - to the executive offices. I'm letting him handle it from here, and I'm sticking with Chase for now since I do like my local branch and Chase has otherwise been solid. But if things get any worse, I'm going to bust down Jamie Dimon's door.

Amex Gold, Amex Bonvoy, Amex Hilton Honors Surpass, Amex Every Day, Amex Hilton Biz, Amex Delta Biz, Barclays Arrival+, Barclays Rewards, Capital One VentureOne, Capital One Quicksilver, Chase Freedom, Chase IHG Rewards, Chase United Explorer, Chase Sapphire
Message 4 of 18
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

He'll jump out along with his Golden Parachute Smiley Very Happy

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had fraudulent charges through one bank and one credit card company, and both responded well. TD Bank did a phenomenal job of stopping someone who got hold of my debit card number. They immediately cancelled the charges and I got a new debit card within a few days. This actually happened twice with debit cards from them, and both times the people at my local branch were friendly and responsive.  And for the credit card, Capital One alerted me when somebody stole my account number and used it to pay for Uber rides. They cancelled out the fraudulent charges within a day or two and I got a replacement card in a week.

Message 6 of 18
bz386
Frequent Contributor

A bank can say whatever they want, but by law you are only liable for up to $50. If they close your case and refuse to compensate you, you can open a CFPB case or even file a suit in small claims court. In both cases you are very likely to prevail. No matter what they say, repeatedly point out to them that BY LAW you are not liable for fraud.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing, that is very helpful/valuable!

Message 8 of 18
bz386
Frequent Contributor

Here's a helpful link that explains everything you need to know:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0213-lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-and-debit-cards

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always thought any fraud where the perpetrator knew the cardholder's PIN number, the customer was responsible.  I think that's probably going to be Chase's stance as well. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.