cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification please on the Capital One card tiers and limitations.

tag
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Clarification please on the Capital One card tiers and limitations.

I understand there is some sort of limit on the number and nature of Capital One cards you can have, but am confused as to what they are.

Some info:

I had a QS1 (AUG2015)  which I recently called and sucessfully converted to a QS (FEB2016).    3500

I have a QS1 (JAN2016) which is of course brand new, too new to combine yet, but intend to.      3000

My goal is to build CL without adding very many trade lines. Some new lines will be needed of course. 

I got a prequal in the mail today for the GM card.  I have no interest in this card so decided I would not be applying for it, but it got me thinking:

Is GM a higher tier than QS1? 

Is regular QS a higher tier card than QS1?

Is the limit on low tier cards 2?  Is QS1 and Platinum the only lower tier cards? 

How many total Cap 1 cards can one have total (is it five?)

How many low tier Cap 1 cards can one have? (Is it two?)

Should I have applied for GM solely on the basis of a good chance at qualifying to use it as one of my future consolidation and or PC  items?

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Re: Clarification please on the Capital One card tiers and limitations.

From another thread, I have just noticed: 

"The QS1, Platinum, Secured and Credit Steps cards are the lower tiered, rebuilding cards and only 2 are allowed. The higher tiered, Venture, Venture 1 and QS Visa allow up to 5. 

"

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 2 of 21
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@BallBounces wrote:

I understand there is some sort of limit on the number and nature of Capital One cards you can have, but am confused as to what they are.

Some info:

I had a QS1 (AUG2015)  which I recently called and sucessfully converted to a QS (FEB2016).    3500

I have a QS1 (JAN2016) which is of course brand new, too new to combine yet, but intend to.      3000

My goal is to build CL without adding very many trade lines. Some new lines will be needed of course. 

I got a prequal in the mail today for the GM card.  I have no interest in this card so decided I would not be applying for it, but it got me thinking:

Is the limit on low tier cards 2?  Is QS1 and Platinum the only lower tier cards? 

Should I have applied for GM solely on the basis of a good chance at qualifying to use it as one of my future consolidation and or PC  items?

The GM card is a cobranded card and can't be combined with the regular Cap 1 cards.  Don't get it unless you want the GM rewards.

Message 3 of 21
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@BallBounces wrote:

Some info:

The GM card is a cobranded card and can't be combined with the regular Cap 1 cards.  Don't get it unless you want the GM rewards.

Thanks.  That answers that bit!

050719:     
021924:     

Message 4 of 21
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@BallBounces wrote:

From another thread, I have just noticed: 

"The QS1, Platinum, Secured and Credit Steps cards are the lower tiered, rebuilding cards and only 2 are allowed. The higher tiered, Venture, Venture 1 and QS Visa allow up to 5. 

"

This isn't quite accurate.  I have 2 QS1, 1 Platinum, and a Sony -- all considered lower-tiered.  2 of the cards were originally HSBC and Orchard Bank... One has PC'ed to QS1.  The other platinum they refuse to PC.  I applied for a QS1 back in summer of 2014 and still have that.  I got the Sony just over a year ago.  So even having 2 lower-tiered cards, I was still approved for 2 additional "lower-tiered" cards.  

Also have the GM card, Menards (cap 1), and Kohls (cap 1 but weird).  

Cheers

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 5 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BallBounces wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@BallBounces wrote:

Some info:

Thanks.  That answers that bit!

+1

I would avoid the GM card, to be honest... you can't combine it, the APR is high (meaning you would always need to PIF) and the credit lines assigned on it can be quite small, as in $500 (and even $300) for some people. 

There are several threads on here where folks would get the card with the intention of using it for the auto rebate (which can be lucrative for the right person) but the credit line was so low it was nearly impossible to use in a meaningful way.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are also account tiers as well. I cant quite remember how to explain it though.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

designated_knitter i don't think they count the cards from the banks cap1 bought out and Sony is co-branded...
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if a platinum or quicksilver 1 card is converted to a master card quicksilver, is that considered an upper or lower tier card?

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

from my understanding the mastercard versions are lower even on regular QS. growth rate is super slow if at all
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.