Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaned DW report, score jumped to 781 - need card recommendation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleaned DW report, score jumped to 781 - need card recommendation

DW EX FICO 8 was 589 in May and is now 781! 

1) Removed 2 collections - GONE

2) She was an AU on 2 of my cards - lowered util on these 2 card from 90% to 4%

3) Added here as a AU on my Amex

DW has only a Capital One secured card, now it is the time to get her a real one.

Any recommendation on a card or two?

I also want your advice on how to fill the application - She has an income of $28K but our rent is high, (my income really pays the rent) can I say that her rent is $0 in the application since I pay it? Or maybe a low figure?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Re: Cleaned DW report, score jumped to 781 - need card recommendation

@Anonymous wrote:

DW EX FICO 8 was 589 in May and is now 781! 

1) Removed 2 collections - GONE

2) She was an AU on 2 of my cards - lowered util on these 2 card from 90% to 4%

3) Added here as a AU on my Amex

DW has only a Capital One secured card, now it is the time to get her a real one.

Any recommendation on a card or two?

I also want your advice on how to fill the application - She has an income of $28K but our rent is high, (my income really pays the rent) can I say that her rent is $0 in the application since I pay it? Or maybe a low figure?

Congrats on the score increase!

Honestly though, she may be able to put zero in the rent field if she is on the lease only as an occupant (for example if something were to happen and you were evicted, she can't be sued for remainder of the lease, etc)

When my son bought a truck a couple months ago, he was able to put zero for rent because he is not on the lease as a responsbile part, only occupant of our apartment (he's 23 so it's not like a dependant/minor thing).

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be sure to list total household income when applying, not just your wife's income. Barclay Rewards would be a good choice.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay rewards is a rebuilder card and you should be able to get much better value with a 781...with your current rent and income situation I am assuming points cards aren't the direction you're wanting to go (correct me if I'm wrong) so I would say discover it or chase freedom or both for category spend with sallie mae for gas and grocery (and Amazon if you shop there) and then double cash for everyday
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Barclay rewards is a rebuilder card and you should be able to get much better value with a 781...with your current rent and income situation I am assuming points cards aren't the direction you're wanting to go (correct me if I'm wrong) so I would say discover it or chase freedom or both for category spend with sallie mae for gas and grocery (and Amazon if you shop there) and then double cash for everyday

Is the income question reffering to combined? or personal? is it legitimate to put the combined which is much higher?

Yes, cash rewards makes sense for her card, she mostly uses it for grocceries, clothes, household and coffe/restauratns. 

I was only reffering to her income whic is low, so points are fine too but mostly for my cards as most of the expenses go on my cards.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If she only has one secured card and no other credit history it is very unlikely she will be able to get a Chase card. She IS in rebuild mode since she only has one secured card on her credit report.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If she only has one secured card and no other credit history it is very unlikely she will be able to get a Chase card. She IS in rebuild mode since she only has one secured card on her credit report.

She has been an AU for years - with 3 AU accounts and since April a Secured Cap One.

Oldest Account 
13.9 year(s) 
Average Account Age 
7.8 year(s)
Message 7 of 11
rockbttm442
Frequent Contributor

I was able to get the Chase Freedom and only had Cap1 QS1. Only had it for 4 months. I also am an AU on my gf kohls card but they aren't fans for AU accts. My score at the time was 698(Chase score) 756 EQ. Had to call to recon only $500 but a start.
Cap 1 QS1 - $3300, Kemba CU - $500, Chase Freedom - $500, Sears MC - $751, Sears - $2000, Hot Topic - $1230, Grismer - $1200, Target - $1800, Walmart - $200, Home Depot - $500, Discover IT Chrome - $7000, Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5000
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

She should be fine with any of those cards I mentioned even with limited credit history with a FICO of 781, look into the benefits of them and decide what works best for you.

Yes it is ok to use total household income if you'd like, any income that could be used to repay the debt

Message 9 of 11
brewcrew87
Regular Contributor

First I would try prequal sites - Amex (they might take awhile to update with any offers until they get a new SP with the improved scores), Cap one, Chase, etc.

I would be looking at either BCP (or BCE if you won't use it enough to offset the AF), Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Quicksilver...  Just make sure her other scores have also improved as much.  Barclay is a known TU puller so the Sallie Mae depends on that...  Discover double pulled me with EQ and EX.  Quicksilver of couse will pull all 3. 

And you can include all household income.  My wife puts our full household income and then our full rent/mortgage payments.  She has been approved for a BCP, Citi DC, and Sallie Mae within the last few months with scores around 700 with much worse stats than what you are showing.  She still has a few unpaid medical collections (in the process of PFDing so we can get a better rate on a new home) and only had 1 CC before her mini app spree.  The only real thing she had going for her at the time with a couple AU accounts from me showing 9 years of perfect history and 0% UTL and perfect payment for the last 4 years on her student loans.

There are definitely a lot of options.  I wouldn't think of it as being in "rebuild" mode at this point in time.  However, if you aren't in a hurry, then I would wait a month or two and wait for the prequals to start coming in after creditors SP her with her improved scores.

Main Cards: CSR(30k), DiscoverIT(50k), Freedom(10.5k), Ink+(17k), SallieMae(17.5k), 3x BoA MLB(24k), 2x BoA BBR(16k) and probably too many other cards at this point...
Current Score:
EQ: ??? TU: 799 EX: 784 - Last Updated 2-2-17 - Last CC App 11/25/16
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.