cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaned up report and need recommendations :)

tag
KausticRage
New Contributor

Cleaned up report and need recommendations :)

Hey everyone,

First off this board is awesome!!! I started the cleanup process in late 2010 and have fought my way up from the low 500's to where I am today.

My report currently has a SL showing late on TU and EX but I just finished rehab last month and loans were picked up a few days ago so I am hoping those will report positive in a couple of months.  Other than than I have a 90+ late on both Tu and EQ that last reported in 2009 and is currently in dispute because that is simply not the case.  My AAofA is 4 years and my util is report at 18% today but all balances are at $0 (just waiting for the reports to update).  I am pre-approved for Walmart for $500 and will app in store and recon of I don't get a higher limit.

I would really like to app for a card or two besides Walmart but I am not sure where I should head first.  I would like a card with rewards to take advantage of the $$ I spend in gas and groceries but I am scared to app and get denied.  Any recommendations on a card that I may have a good shot to get?

This has been a long journey and the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger and brighter Smiley Very Happy

April 2013 FICO Scores
Experian - 709 Chase Freedom Pull
Equifax - 788 BofA MLB Rewards Pull
Trans Union - 778 (GE Money Bank CLI scores)

In the Garden until at least 2014 to let the new accounts age and HP's fall off. 800 club here I come...
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cleaned up report and need recommendations :)

@KausticRage wrote:

Hey everyone,

First off this board is awesome!!! I started the cleanup process in late 2010 and have fought my way up from the low 500's to where I am today.

My report currently has a SL showing late on TU and EX but I just finished rehab last month and loans were picked up a few days ago so I am hoping those will report positive in a couple of months.  Other than than I have a 90+ late on both Tu and EQ that last reported in 2009 and is currently in dispute because that is simply not the case.  My AAofA is 4 years and my util is report at 18% today but all balances are at $0 (just waiting for the reports to update).  I am pre-approved for Walmart for $500 and will app in store and recon of I don't get a higher limit.

I would really like to app for a card or two besides Walmart but I am not sure where I should head first.  I would like a card with rewards to take advantage of the $$ I spend in gas and groceries but I am scared to app and get denied.  Any recommendations on a card that I may have a good shot to get?

This has been a long journey and the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger and brighter Smiley Very Happy

I recommend looking at the Bank of America 123 rewards card.  PayPal Rewards Mastercard, maybe an American Express Charge card to get your foot in the door with Amex. Chase Amazon Visa....     Chase Freedom and Discover More are also excellent options but the rewards catagories are not the same all the time.

Use your PayPal Extras MasterCard

to get 2x points for all your PayPal and eBay purchases.

3x points/ $1 spent on Gas & Restaurants

2x points/ $1 spent on PayPal & eBay

1x points/ $1 spent on all other MasterCard purchases

Chase Amazon Visa

3x POINTS on Amazon.com purchases1
2x POINTS at gas stations, restaurants and drugstores1
1x POINT on all other purchases1

Bank of America 123 Card

1% cash back on purchases, 2% on groceries and 3% on gas for the first $1,500 in combined gas and grocery purchases each quarter Plus earn a 10% customer bonus when you redeem into a Bank of America® checking or savings account Get a $100 cash back bonus after you make at least $500 in purchases within 90 days of account opening Introductory 0%† APR for your first 12 billing cycles for purchases, and for any balance transfers made within 60 days of opening your account.  After that, a Variable APR that’s currently between 12.99% and 22.99% will apply. 3% fee (min $10) applies to balance transfers. Please see Terms and Conditions for payment allocation information
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 21
brother7
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Thank you webhopper for making me aware of this card. I've been using either Costco Trueearnings or Chase Amazon which are only 2% cash back at restaurants. Since I dine at restaurants a LOT, you may have just given me a reason to step out of the garden. Smiley Embarassed

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 3 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@brother7 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Thank you webhopper for making me aware of this card. I've been using either Costco Trueearnings or Chase Amazon which are only 2% cash back at restaurants. Since I dine at restaurants a LOT, you may have just given me a reason to step out of the garden. Smiley Embarassed

Before you go and app, make sure that the points are worth 1 point per $1 in rewards...  sometimes point values can be misleading.... 

Although, some points are better than no points Smiley Happy

FICO 9:

Message 4 of 21
KausticRage
New Contributor

I would LOVE to get in with Amex but I'm a little hesitant.  Any recommendations on which charge card I should app for?  The backdating to 2012 would be awesome and my annual salary is $73K.  I'm reading that the Green would be a waste of time and PRG would be better but wouldn't the Green be easier to get?

April 2013 FICO Scores
Experian - 709 Chase Freedom Pull
Equifax - 788 BofA MLB Rewards Pull
Trans Union - 778 (GE Money Bank CLI scores)

In the Garden until at least 2014 to let the new accounts age and HP's fall off. 800 club here I come...
Message 5 of 21
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

You might also think about the Citi Forward card - it has great rewards for restaurants and entertainment. I agree with the poster who said its a good idea to get your foot in the door with Amex.  Maybe app for a Green or PRG now - I think you'd have a very good shot - and go for a Blue Cash Preferred in 5 or 6 months.  Good luck!

Message 6 of 21
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

great write-up hopper
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@KausticRage wrote:

I would LOVE to get in with Amex but I'm a little hesitant.  Any recommendations on which charge card I should app for?  The backdating to 2012 would be awesome and my annual salary is $73K.  I'm reading that the Green would be a waste of time and PRG would be better but wouldn't the Green be easier to get?

The criteria for charge cards are all about the same... maybe a little tougher for Platinum.  I think PRG would be a good goal, and considering your EX Fako score, you have a good shot at it.   My FAKO was 713 when I picked up my Amex Charge Card

also going to mention that Amex is income sensitive... so definately your income is a solid positive 

FICO 9:

Message 8 of 21
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

1) I would definately go for AMEX. Get the Green charge card first. 6-12 months, get BCE. (for everything cashback)

2) Since you have high EQ score, try Citi Dividend Platinum Select. It's just like freedom with rotating 5% and $100 cash back (for place that doesn't take Amex)

3) Chase Freedom. Get in the door. Garden some... 12 months, get CSP (for travel).

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 9 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think the PRG has no Annual Fee for the first year, so definately you could get the card and try it out, if you don't use it that much then it is downgradeable to green..   no big deal.   PRG has some good sign up bonuses going on too!

FICO 9:

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.