Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cli & utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cli & utilization

Hello,

to help my score in regards to the overall utilization, I have a card that is at 3500 of 4500, is it possible to ask for a cli or it looks bad with so much of a balance?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Cli & utilization

In my opinion anything over 50% it's not likely. It does depend on your credit file and bank.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 14
Luscher
Valued Contributor

I would say get it down to around 25% and then ask for a cli.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 14
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I got my Citi TYP in March of this year. Balanced Transferred to the card and currently putting all my monthly expenses on it. I've been carrying a Util of around 80% about 3-4 months out of six with this card. My previous balance was 3450/4500. I paid 1700 to them and hit the luv button right before my statement was to cut and received a 600 increase. New limit reported to the bureaus when statement cut the next day. 

Other points:

-I have a year old Citi card that went from 1200 > 2600 after 6 months.

-I have overall utilization of 30%

-13 accounts. 1 card at 90%. 2nd card at 80% and the 3rd at 80%. Usually they were the only three cards reporting. This last month I had a card reporting 500 and another reporting 5 dollars. So five cards reporting of 13. Depending on when the soft pull was taken, those numbers look different. 

I have an AAoA of 11 months on CreditKarma. While other places count my student loans from 11 yrs ago into my account age. Don't really know what Citi or other cards believe is my AAOA(although I'm guessing they're going with the less than one year since most letters I get say, "Length of history too short").

So,  it would seem to me that Citi just gives credit limit increases like clockwork at the 6 month mark, period. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: If you're at the 6 month mark hit the luv button and try your luck. You lose nothing since it's a soft pull.

Message 4 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

to help my score in regards to the overall utilization, I have a card that is at 3500 of 4500, is it possible to ask for a cli or it looks bad with so much of a balance?

It depends on the lender.   The SyncB/GECRB store cards and Discover don't seem to mind balances, for some.   Others, like AMEX, defininitely frown on it.   What lender is is?   What's your overall profile like?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 14
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Oh my...I misread the title. I thought it said Citi & Utilization. LOL.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about two other cards that one is zero balance and the other is the daily... Can I hit the love button for those or perhaps wait til they show as zero on the reports?

Message 7 of 14
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What about two other cards that one is zero balance and the other is the daily... Can I hit the love button for those or perhaps wait til they show as zero on the reports?

The advice given on these boards are given with optimal reports= the very best results in mind. Technically, you can do anything you want, but will the outcome be the best? I received a 500 increase on my Cap1 card that was at 80% and also received a 600 increase on my Citi card that was at 80%. Now, one can speculate that had I waited until I had lower UTIL, I would've gotten more. Glass half empty. On the other hand, another would say I was still able to get any increase with such high UTIL. Glass half full. If you feel you want to hit the luv button now, when your reports are less than ideal, and you know it'll be a soft pull, then go ahead. If you believe you can wait, then certainly do so when your reports are micromanaged down to 1 card reporting a 0 balance and the other < 9%. It's really up to you.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's worth a try on your one with zero balance.  Your daily might take some calculating on when to pay it off and when the CCC reports to the bureaus.  Once you figure it out, you may not be able to use it for a minute (a few days to a week) around that reporting date.  

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, let me also mention that I recently took 5 hits to my report. Co-signed for my wife's new car (problematic previous SUV) & I also got a new car after ten years. 

Score went from 703 to 675...

much difference?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.