cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close All Accounts Except Citi Credit Cards ?

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Close All Accounts Except Citi Credit Cards ?

My oldest credit card is with Citibank and I like that I can transfer money from my checking account to my credit card and I get instant credit for it.

With all my other cards it takes days to pay them and I am using the Citicards more then the others because of the delay in payment to the other cards.

If I were to close all my accounts except my Citicards, would that have any bearing on being any easier to obtain more credit with Citibank

(How I see it is, I have two cards, both with the same bank)  so they only have to review their own products when I ask for a CLI, so would my chances of getting this approved be greater or No, guidelines are guidelines?

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Close All Accounts Except Citi Credit Cards ?

I would not like the idea to depend on a single lender Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

My oldest credit card is with Citibank and I like that I can transfer money from my checking account to my credit card and I get instant credit for it.

With all my other cards it takes days to pay them and I am using the Citicards more then the others because of the delay in payment to the other cards.

If I were to close all my accounts except my Citicards, would that have any bearing on being any easier to obtain more credit with Citibank no

(How I see it is, I have two cards, both with the same bank)  so they only have to review their own products when I ask for a CLI, so would my chances of getting this approved be greater or No, guidelines are guidelines? Nope. They'll still look at your CR. Your internal score is just one of the many factors they look at.

Thoughts?

I don't recommend you close the other accounts. Just leave them as is. 

That way, you don't lose everything if Citi ever takes AA against you for any reason...

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And if for some reason you had to choose only one lender for all your cards, Citi would not be the choice of many...

Message 4 of 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Personally I would never put all my eggs in one basket. What would you do if for some reason they froze your accounts while on vacation?

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@Andy77 wrote:

If I were to close all my accounts except my Citicards, would that have any bearing on being any easier to obtain more credit with Citibank no

(How I see it is, I have two cards, both with the same bank)  so they only have to review their own products when I ask for a CLI, so would my chances of getting this approved be greater or No, guidelines are guidelines? Nope. They'll still look at your CR. Your internal score is just one of the many factors they look at.

Thoughts?

I don't recommend you close the other accounts. Just leave them as is. 

That way, you don't lose everything if Citi ever takes AA against you for any reason...

+1

Having diversity in your overall portfolio allows for options in the event you encounter any issues with that specific lender.  Citi can be wonderful, but it can also get ugly.

Message 6 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I agree with the others; depending on one lender for your portfolio isn't wise IMO. Diversity is always best.

Spread the luv around. Smiley LOL
Message 7 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

Diversity can be key in the mercurial world of credit, where market condition sometimes dictate terms.

If anything, would recommend keeping your bases covered with a combo of strong local/regional/major banks and CU.

One is the lonliest number if AA strikes, can also reduce a lenders incentive to compete for your business Smiley Wink

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 12
rlx01
Established Contributor

Which banks take days to pay?

Both AMEX and Chase use next day ACH for payments (withdrawn next business day for me). It's possible the bank with your checking account is delaying those payments.
Message 9 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Alternatively just have multiple checking accounts.

I simply ACH money from my Chase account to USAA and then from there to anywhere needed like BOFA, or to DCU directly as it's no charge inbound for them.  4 of 8 cards are effectively instant payment accepted; however, other than cutting it close on limits or on payment dates (both I would suggest can be avoided) it's not that much of an advantage, but if it's a non-optional benefit for you, pick up a USAA checking account and transfer money anywhere.

        
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.