Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Arrival+ and apply for Citi DC?

tag
slvrhwk
Regular Contributor

Close Arrival+ and apply for Citi DC?

I love my Arrival+ and it's my go to card for most transactions. Over the weekend, I finally received a mail from them about the changes (that we've known but dreading for some time now). I'm starting to wonder if it makes sense for me anymore. I still think it does, probably, because I put most of my spending on this card. But, on the other hand, there's Citi DC, which is also Mastercard and has similar rewards for no AF. I would like to know what do you guys think I should do. My general philosophy about credit cards is I don't like to collect the cards, I just want one from each institution. Currently, I do have 1 each from Visa, MC and Amex (I'll probably get Discover sometime in the future).

I have a few other questions regarding the DC card.

1. Does it have any signup bonuses?

2. How good is citibank in general?

3. Are they good with CLIs? Also, do you need to request for CLIs or they give you automatic CLIs frequently?

4. Is it a WMC or WEMC?

5. Do they provide free FICO scores?

Thanks!

Current Score TU: 787, EX: N/A, EQ: N/A
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Re: Close Arrival+ and apply for Citi DC?

I would absolutely close the Arrival+ and replace it with the Double Cash. Personally, I could not justify paying for 2.1% when 2% is available with no AF. This would be an extremely easy decision for me.

As for your other questions, there are some targeted offers for the DC, but I wouldn't count on receiving them. I do enjoy doing business with Citibank, and I would choose them over many other banks out there, especially Barclays.

Also, I get regular (initiated via website) SP CLIs on all six of my Citi cards (sometimes several at once), so they've been great to me with those. By comparison, I can't even get a single SP CLI on my Discover IT card.

The Double Cash comes as both a WMC and WEMC, however, they both do the same thing. Lastly, I do get a free credit score from Citi, and it is Equifax I believe.

Message 2 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:
I would absolutely close the Arrival+ and replace it with the Double Cash. Personally, I could not justify paying for 2.1% when 2% is available with no AF. This would be an extremely easy decision for me.

As for your other questions, there are some targeted offers for the DC, but I wouldn't count on receiving them. I do enjoy doing business with Citibank, and I would choose them over many other banks out there, especially Barclays.

Also, I get regular (initiated via website) SP CLIs on all six of my Citi cards (sometimes several at once), so they've been great to me with those. By comparison, I can't even get a single SP CLI on my Discover IT card.

The Double Cash comes as both a WMC and WEMC, however, they both do the same thing. Lastly, I do get a free credit score from Citi, and it is Equifax I believe.

I agree is it pretty unlikely that you will get a bonus with the Double Cash.   Question is, does this matter.  There are two things to consider:

1) Getting very near equivalent rewards to the Arrival +, without an AF.   IMO, from this view, bonus doesn't matter.   You got it for the arrival already, now you are getting a similar card, but free.

2) The application will be an HP.  Can you get a higher bonus for an HP (than 0!)   Yes, easily, but then you would have to compare the benefits of that card to the Arrival and DC.

Message 3 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Easy decision. 2.1 percent with a fee for the arrival vs 2 percent free w the double cash. It takes a ton of spend for arrival to beat it plus arrival is only 2.1 toward travel.

Theres usually no signup bonus for DC but its a great card anyway. Way better than Arrival at this point. Id apply for DC and close your arrival.
Message 4 of 18
slvrhwk
Regular Contributor

The other thing I'm trying to figure out is how much will it affect my history, especially AAOA, since I only have 3 cards and I have the arrival since Jan 2014. I know it stays on your history for 7 (or 10) years after account closure, but do you so any other impacts to my profile?

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the same boat as you but I will not be closing my Arrival+. Assuming your signature list is 100% accurate then closing your card may have a big impact to your credit score due to utilization/tradeline reasons. I will PC mine down to non-AF and then place it in the SD shortly thereafter. I do not have the >$50K total limit that many here do so I am opting to go this way.

Regarding a replacement card, I am currently looking at the Citi DC and Chase Freedom (since I have a CSP).
Message 6 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

If you report a balance on any card, your utilization may go up if the CL on the DC is less than that on the Arrival (which is quite likely).   If you have the funds, you can pay before statement cuts to avoid showing a balance, or (and better) decide not to care!

There will be an additional inquiry and new account from getting the double cash, which will lower scores slightly

Message 7 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

If you report a balance on any card, your utilization may go up if the CL on the DC is less than that on the Arrival (which is quite likely).   If you have the funds, you can pay before statement cuts to avoid showing a balance, or (and better) decide not to care!

There will be an additional inquiry and new account from getting the double cash, which will lower scores slightly

Right but the inquiry will ding you once, whereas keeping the Arrival over the DC, you're paying the fee year after year after year...

Message 8 of 18
slvrhwk
Regular Contributor

How much is the typical starting limit for DC? I was also thinking, why not PC arrival+ to arrival, apply for Discover IT and enjoy the 2% on everything for a year?

Message 9 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Right but the inquiry will ding you once, whereas keeping the Arrival over the DC, you're paying the fee year after year after year...

Right, getting rid of it makes sense, but the later question was specifically about score impact, so that is what I was replying to.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.