Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Capital One Secured Card?

tag
Bones
New Contributor

Close Capital One Secured Card?

I opened Capital One in March with a $351 CL. In June I opened 7 CC's with CL's of at least 5k per card.  Would I benefit more from leaving the card open or be better off having the card closed to reduce the amount of open CC accounts?  Util is not a factor as all balances are at 0% except one card that is at 2%.  Also, what is the amount of time accounts need to be opened that trigger a increase in  FICO scoring, 6 months?

When a new account is opened how long before it is not considered a new account, 3,6,12 months?  For instance, some creditors will deny for to many new accounts in X amount of months? 

Is individual card util more important than overall util for FICO?  For me it would take $3,500 in debt to show 1% overall util?

There is an AF on the Cap1 card as well and I would get my $200 deposit back. Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Re: Close Capital One Secured Card?

I would wait until feb 013 and close it if they dont waive the fee.
Utilization affecting your fico is based on all your cards(overall).
From what i read you have $350,000 CL, was this cap one your first cc (0 AAoA)?
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CruzImperial wrote:
I would wait until feb 013 and close it if they dont waive the fee.
Utilization affecting your fico is based on all your cards(overall).
From what i read you have $350,000 CL, was this cap one your first cc (0 AAoA)?

I am going to guess you mean 35,000 CL.

Message 3 of 6
Bones
New Contributor

Sorry, it was my mistake.  It would in fact be only $350 for 1% util on $35k.  I have a joint Chase opened in the late 90's that is my oldest card.  One Chase card in 1996, 1 in March and 7 in June.

Message 4 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Bones wrote:

I opened Capital One in March with a $351 CL. In June I opened 7 CC's with CL's of at least 5k per card.  Would I benefit more from leaving the card open or be better off having the card closed to reduce the amount of open CC accounts?  I would shut it down, you've gotten what you needed from it. Util is not a factor as all balances are at 0% except one card that is at 2%.  Also, what is the amount of time accounts need to be opened that trigger a increase in  FICO scoring, 6 months? If you didnt get dinged for seeking credit, a year should be sufficent. If you did, you have to wait until the INQ's age some, which can vary.

When a new account is opened how long before it is not considered a new account, 3,6,12 months? IMO once an account hits the yearmark the newness has wore off. For instance, some creditors will deny for to many new accounts in X amount of months? On this one, I'd say 6 months is OK to gain history on the new account before looking at anything else.

Is individual card util more important than overall util for FICO?  For me it would take $3,500 in debt to show 1% overall util? IMO having a card maxxed out looks bad. Overall util. is kep in FICO scoring but having cards reporting above 50% usage can hurt too.

There is an AF on the Cap1 card as well and I would get my $200 deposit back. Axe it, like yesterday!!! Thanks for any advice.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 6
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

If you are going to garden then rip it apart. 351 CL in one card is just pathetic for someone with a 5K CL average.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.