Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Delta?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Close Delta?

My AF is coming up, while I got a lot of use out of it last year for the benefits I'm not planning any travel to any of the places where Delta flights are cheapest. My city is an AA hub and I just got approved for the AA Platinum Select and I'll be moving part of my limit from the AA Gold and closing or PCing. It's also now my lowest limit since I got a CLI on my Forward. I have the PRG which seems to have better Amex offers. If I'm not mistaken I can PC to the no-AF HHonors but I had that card and closed it because I got better value on the categories from other cards. What to do
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Close Delta?

Personally I think you need to give your profile a break and stop opening and closing cards. It's going to do even more damage. I'd probably just either suck it up and pay the fee this year or PC to the no AF card just to keep the tradeline for awhile longer before another closed account.
Message 2 of 5
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Go to the source. Amex chat. See what your options are. Just tell them the card is redundant because of the MR/skypesos link on your PRG

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

while i agree you change your report like a person changes clothes and you should put more forethought into your card apps, if it's that useless just ditch it and stop apping. don't get stuck on being scared to close a card because you don't wanna lose the limit (which is the only reason you haven't closed it and you wanna PC it)

only you know what's best and no ones advice is going to help you any further than what you already know.
Message 4 of 5
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I opened mine ($5k) in December 2014 and closed it September 2015.

I never used it...  I did get the free trip from the mileage bonus but beyond that the card didn't get used after I stopped going to Costco in favor of Sam's Club... after getting that MC last March.

I'll surely pick up another AmEx one day... but as of today AmEx products just aren't on the top of my priority list.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.